London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
21 to 40 of 63 messages
23/01/2014 at 21:33

Cats.  Believe me.  I wouldn't harm a single one.  They are not my favourite animal.  However before penning a manuscript.  My tiny garden is like a gem in a wilderness.  My downstairs neighbour can't even be bothered to clean up after the dog.  Her garden must be toxic.  I now have no pets.  Over the years, I have had dogs, at one time my eldest daughter talked Val and I into letting her have a cat.  Believe me.  When that cat died, this man truly bawled his eyes out.  Now, the local feline population takes a short cut through my garden.   Perhaps some of this is my fault.  I have left access to the local fox populace.  At least you can see their calling cards.  Dare I comment further.

24/01/2014 at 18:29
Jess is in the Garden wrote (see)

Has anyone actually heard from Jessica?!

I haven't and am beginning to wonder if I'm perhaps not alone....

Hello Jess,

Having emailed Jessica soon after she posted, she did contact me and asked if I was willing to speak to her.  I agreed and we had quite an interesting conversation.  She mentioned speaking to other people but whether the contact came from this forum, I wouldn't like to say. Don't know if you are a cat owner or not but I understand the proposed documentary is going to look at both sides of the problem so it may be worth you contacting her again. Whilst the majority of the posts on this forum related to the unwanted cat mess in the garden, the bigger issue was the predation of wildlife - which is serious and should be debated.

Anyway, I hope you manage to speak with Jessica and put your point of view. 

24/01/2014 at 21:59

My neighbours cat has taken the frogs and newts from my pond. When I heard "look he's brought us another baby dragon" I could have cried. We now have no newts or frogs left.

24/01/2014 at 22:37

Re Jess.

Forgive me, but I am a new boy on the block.  There was mention of a documentary!  Tell me more.

Back in the 1960's I attended Metropolitan Police College.  During our studies etc.  I learned that, the cat.  Is not, well at that time at least, was not a protected animal under British Law. Whereas dog, sheep pig horse etc were protected.

I am likewise most concerned over the cat issue.  Remember those car stickers.  A dog is not just for Xmas.  What about cats.  It really is such a shame and a disgrace to cat owners, who fail to look after their pets.  Easy to say.  A cat has a roving instinct.  Poor pussy is caught in a time frame.  The big cats, hunt, kill to eat.  The local moggy will torture kill and leave, just for amusement.  I used to have thrushes as permanant occupants of my garden.  Now I don't see any.  What I do see is, around twenty plus cats.

25/01/2014 at 08:35

Gosh, what an upsetting thread. Labelling anyone who has a cat as irresponsible? Heavens above! There is so much joy to be had from gardening and also many many challenges. Just as there is so much joy to be had from owning a pet - any pet.  They all come with the odd negative, as do human beings....displayed here by the attitudes of people who can't just live and let live and perhaps think on...ask my best friends severely disabled son (wheelchair bound after being hit by a drunk driver) who started talking and interacting with his family again after being giving a cat to take care of. I can't begin to describe what a positive effect it had on him and their family. So next time folk get upset about an animal doing what it does naturally, think on a little bit please. There is often a bigger picture, and lots of far more worthy causes to vent your frustrations on. I hope this thread ends here.

25/01/2014 at 09:35

Hear, hear, Tootles! And humans do much more damage to the environment than any animal!

26/01/2014 at 17:41

I'm with you Tootles. I keep my cat in at night and find that she (and all our previous cats) mainly stay in our own garden and generally don't hunt. I understand that most wildlife are caught at dusk and dawn and my cat is in at those times.

She only goes on her litter, inside, or in our own garden. If I knew of her going elsewhere I would go and clean it up.

As Tootles says, all pets (and children for that matter) come with their negatives, so lets please live and let live.

26/01/2014 at 18:38

I am really sorry if my posts on this subject upset people .It was not my intention but the subject does warrant some debate.

No sensible person would object to cats as pets.......but the fact is that so many cat owners will not accept that their pets can spoil other people's enjoyment if they do not act responsibly.  Like the majority of people these days, I too object to irresponsible dog owners who allow their pets to foul the streets, play areas, front gardens, etc. but I also object to cats fouling my garden and catching and killing birds and other small wildlife. I also object to those people who buy exotic pets without the least idea of how to look after them but they rarely encroach on a gardener's patch so I don't use the Garden forum to discuss this issue.

Yes, we humans do cause damage to the environment - but where do you start to improve things........at least let us have the option of discussing a subject sensibly and look at the wider issues. The huge increase in the cat population in the UK is a problem..........our native  wildlife has not yet evolved to cope with it.

The  advantageous relationship between animals and mentally and physically disabled people is well known - it should be shouted from the rooftops ....but that argument shouldn't be used to allow those irresponsible pet owners to despoil life for the rest of us.

This thread might well be upsetting but then again, most serious issues are upsetting to some of us........surely that doesn't mean that we cannot talk about a subject ?

Just as a PS.........the morning after I replied to Jessica (Landmark Films), I walked out of my front door to see a pile of faeces.............I rather like the idea that it was a Cat who objected strongly to my post (but it was probably just a small dog )

26/01/2014 at 21:11

NO! I haven't been gazing into my crystal ball etc.  When I first read this thread, I could see problems ahead.  As I mentioned. I wouldn't harm any animal.  I have a couple of families of foxes that find peace and security in my garden.  A bit messy now and then, but at least you can see it.  In my locallity a couple of years back.  The hue and cry was, to cull all foxes. As claims were being made that foxes were killy cats.  Rubbish.  I have seen it so many times.  Foxes running away from cats.  I digress....sorry.  I think that sometimes individuals tend to mis read quotes.  I live on a large council estate.  When we first moved in 1964.  It was like a country hamlet.  Over the years sadly ones mental image of such an estate, has sadly become a reallity. People are constantly on the move.  So often, poor pussy gets left behind, often to live life scavaging.  Then there are various cats protection societies etc. and local pet shop, displaying ads for.  Home wanted for friendly cat. Years ago. I help out at a very large animal rescue farm in Biggin Hill. Kent.  I used to vet homes.   Now sadly, poor tibbles get's thrownfrom pillar to post.  Often ending up in a home where, now't is understood about the care and welfare of any animal.  Sadly, even the offspring of the family.  It is such a shame.  As I perhaps previously posted, that familiar car sticker.  A pet is not just for Xmas.  However heartbreaking it might be.  Man has truly 'cocked the system up'.  May I offer my apologies on behalf of the forum members, if any cat lover/owner has been offended by this thread.  However it must be agreed, to take on the resposibilities of caring for a pet.  Serious thought, concern and consideration for all around.  Sadly.  This weekend, was a special birdwatch time.  You won't believe this.  Apart from keeping a watchful eye on the garden.  I set my cameras up.  Most, most unusual as the long tailed tit normally visits in flocks.  Hand on heart.  Mike saw only one solitary long tailed tit visit the garden.  Perhaps the presence of two of the three cats, owned by my downstairs neighbour were in the garde.  One was seated on the ridgepoint of the greenhouse.  The other one was comfortable on the pergols beneath my kitchen window.  All in all.  It's not fair on the poor animal to be left to fend for itself.  Neither is it fair for others who are trying to maintain a garden etc.  The finally it is totally upsetting the natural balance of nature.  We so often refer to the flying pollinators etc.  However our native birds also perform many beneficial tasks.

Fellow members.  Once again.  Mike offers his apologies on behalf of the forum membership, if you have been offended by members posts.  However.  Please.   Take care of your cat, devote as much time as possible to his/her welbeing, however please take a second look at the ever increasing problem.

Best regards.  Mike. 

27/01/2014 at 00:42

We changed the time of day we fed our two cats so that they aren't hungry and less likely to hunt. We put collars on them with bells but they never last long - someone keeps taking them off. We keep them in, in fact we encourage them to stay inside. I do think its easy to forget how much of a vermin problem we would have if we didn't have them.

My neighbours throw stones at the cats in the neighbourhood and sometimes the cats come in with cuts, swellings, swollen eyes. They also use lasers but right in the cats eyes. I would have no problem with them using water pistols or similar but if I catch them throwing stones I will report them to the RSPCA for cruelty. If you use stones, catapults or anything that harms the cat then you leave yourself liable to prosecution.

27/01/2014 at 09:14

I cant believe people would be so cruel as to use catapults or stones, I'm shocked.

27/01/2014 at 20:21

I abhor the aggression that is displayed here. Perhaps it isn't intentional, but it really is unnecessary. With so many contradictions and nonsensical comments there is absolutely no point in responding with anything other than a gentle request to plead for folk to please try and be nicer to all who share this little planet of ours. You'll feel better for it, honest!

I'll say no more.

Over and out from me on this thread X

27/01/2014 at 22:53

I can see both sides of this issue, gardening is my passion and I have five cats. My cats are all neutered and don't go out at night and thankfully they leave the frogs and toads in my garden alone, one of them used to catch them when she was young but they'd let out such a horrific scream we always knew and she'd drop them unharmed when we shouted at her. I've tried everything to keep them off the garden especially beds that have just been dug over and/or seeded and the best way I've found is to to put in lots of short sticks about 5" apart, the cat then can't sit down to do it's business, you can take the sticks out when the plants are established. It is worrying how many strays and un-neutered cats there are, three of mine were unwanted or abandoned. 

29/01/2014 at 21:29

Last winter I had many many birds at the feeders and several mice in the garden as a whole. 30+ house sparrows used to ground feed on seed around the garden and I always had a good few blackbirds dotted about the garden.

This winter, a bird at the feeders is rare and unusual, I have very few blackbirds and no sparrows.

Last winter I spend just short of £80 on feed, this year I have spend less than £20 so far and I'm going to be left much of it the way things are going. I thought at first that the cause was a relatively mild winter and an abundance of natural food.

It wasn't until a week or so ago that I found out why, I now have at least 4 cats visiting the garden on a regular basis.

I've always believed for years though that ALL pets / domestic animals should be mandatorily  licenced, electronically tagged and insured and before anybody can have a domestic animal they should first attend a mandatory college course and obtain a certificate to prove the course was completed which must list the animals and breeds that the bearer is allowed to keep and look after.  The course should establish if the person(s) are fit and able to have an animal, if the property that the person lives at is a suitable property to house an animal.

Animals capable of inflicting injury should be mandatorily muzzled at all times including the home.

Any domestic animal outdoors at any time unattended should be caught, if untagged it should be destroyed, if tagged the owner fined at least £100 plus costs incurred.

Farmers, I believe have a right to shoot dogs harassing livestock, should we have the right to shoot a domestic animal (cats) trespassing and unattended in our gardens causing damage, death to our wildlife and general disruption!?

29/01/2014 at 22:40

Mark.

Somewhere or other within this thread.  I posted the what I had learned way back in the 1960's at police college.  The domestic cat, was to all intense and purposes, not a protected animal, according to British Law.  However there are all these various protection organisations.  Good for them.  Including the RSPCA.   Sadly each seems to fail in their purpose.  The general concensors is.  Cats have a roving instint.  Such sayings like.  YOU don't make friends with a cat.  The cat makes friends with you.  Etc. One of the establishments I worked at, as a professional gardener was, a military hospital.  The place was running alive with ferral cats.  Beneath the basement floors the area housed the heating pipes etc.  Believe me. The stench was overpowering.  Out in the gardens, I actually had cats putting up their backs, and scowling at me.  I am not afraid to confess.  The faithful garden spade several times came to the rescue.  Believe me, not something that I am proud of, but.  Cage traps would be set.  The domestic staff would come out and spring the traps or let the caught animal go.  Sadly man's concepts etc are so diverse.  Were we still living back in the dark ages.  The natural world was so different.  Animals hunted, killed etc to survive.  Now all of that is past.  Believe me.  I am an animal lover and I wouldn't ill treat anything.  However what so many pussy lovers are doing.  They are in fact condoning a future life of misery to so many cats.  As I mentioned in my previous post.  Families are on the move, for various reasons.  More often than not.  Poor 'B' pussy is left behind.  It's not the cat's fault. However when it comes to garden fouling.  Puss prefers a clean well tended for site to dump.  So sorry mate.  Your garden is the ideal spot.

Whilst I had my dog, no cat would even dream of entering the garden.  Now.  My garden resembles Oxford St.  Cross here go there, crap where you like.  I have tried some of these crystals etc. I have just bought off Ebay.  Predatex.  Animal repellent.  You mix it up and spray it.  Like all the others ideas.  It must be applied on a dry day.  Should it rain.  Then try again.  Go on.  Your'e pulling my leg.  I noticed the other day.  The 99p store had some canisters of cat repellant.  Take your pick.  Truly my friend.  What is the answer.  What is the solution.?  MIKE doesn't know.

29/01/2014 at 23:07

Should cats permanently wear Muzzles and a chastity belt that covers and restricts the animals complete rear end!?

When the cat goes home it can then be fed at one end and cleaned up at the other by the owner!

29/01/2014 at 23:19

Perhaps cats should wear "Cat Nappies" after all this can't be cruel because we apply Nappies to our own children for the first few years of their lives.

A muzzle should be worn by any animal that can inflict injury or death to any other creature or person including dogs and cats, I'm sure there are other pets and animals too.

30/01/2014 at 07:51

If anyone needs to be muzzled, I think it should be you, Mark Feather!

30/01/2014 at 09:28

Oh Mark

Yes you have opinions we all have, but you must be a very foolish man if you think you can post your opinions and hope to stand any chance of having even a tiny grown up discussion on a forum where there will be many passionate cat owners / animal lovers who think the human race a disgrace and will be ready and waiting to jump down your throat.

I respectfully advise YOU ALL bite your tongue on this thread so that we can ALL let it die a dignified death. Don't feed those fishing for arguments with your passionate posts - your enthusiasm is being very poorly placed as I am sure we have several members who get great pleasure in keeping threads alive purely to see how much trouble they can cause.

This thread is going no where. We will not achieve an outcome - the original poster has not been back to the forum as far as I'm aware. Lets be sensible, close it down and move on to better things.

30/01/2014 at 10:29
just for your info Jessica the original poster in fact has been in touch with me we spoke yesterday about the program the BBC want to make about this cat problem,the team are collecting peoples opinions on the subject,anyone wishing to air there views can contact her in her first post,i do agree with Clarington that we must put our views in a reasonable fashion and not insult or sound threatening or harsh,but to drop the subject i think not as too many people have a genuine problem and have the same right to air there views,without discussion problems do not get understood or maybe even solved,so anyone who does have a view may want to get in touch with Jessica, as she is genuine.
21 to 40 of 63 messages