London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
7 messages
22/04/2013 at 19:36
Help! My Christmas tree needles are turning brown. The tree lives in a pot in the garden in sheltered position, but over the last month the needles are going brown. What can I do to save the tree? Thanks
22/04/2013 at 19:54

Being in a pot won't be doing it any good. These type of trees need lots of nutrients and water.

22/04/2013 at 20:06

Doesn't sound good. I suspect it has had it.

22/04/2013 at 20:35

I think it's too late too but you could try reviving it with one soluble aspirin dissolved per pint of water.  It contains salicylic acid which is a natural growth hormone found in willow plants and can help sickly plants.

23/04/2013 at 10:20

I bought what was supposed to be container grown xmas tree this year, and planted it out in a large container after xmas. It was clearly not grow in the container but containerised by chopping off most of the roots. 

I didn't give it much chance of survival, and i was right. It was doing ok, until those cold easterly winds, which did it in. 

I liked the idea of having a tree which we could just bring in the house at xmas, and put back in the garden for the rest if the year, but it seems you need to be very careful about the difference between container grown and containerised, as the latter will apparantely rarely survive.

15/05/2014 at 12:05

We planted a very small Christmas Tree "santa" gave it to our little friend but she didn`t have a garden so we have it in ours. Thing is, its grown brilliantly for 5 years but this last couple of weeks the needles seem to be going brown but are staying on the tree... I hope we don`t lose it, we are so happy the way it has grown and there is a new light green shoot at the top and lots of "buds" coming on too. HELP!! Thanks

15/05/2014 at 13:22

My son visited Santa about 14 years ago and was given a tree, it's now in a large pot and is about 3ft high and the same in width. It goes a bit brown on the edges and I think it's dying but then grows again. I water it occasionally, daily during the summer, apart from that it's in the way at times - by the side gate so getting the bins past it is a pain, it won't die!!!

email image
7 messages