London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 5°C
12 messages
25/01/2014 at 15:58

I planted 2 of these against my 2m high garden wall 2 years ago. They are struggling to grow and something is munching away at the leaves. Can anyone suggest a cure?

25/01/2014 at 16:13

Hi rubber. These are usually pretty trouble free. Were they growing well initially or have they always struggled? The ground right next to a wall is often very dry so did you plant them a bit out from it and have you kept an eye on the watering till they were established? They grow best on a shady aspect so if they're in a sunnier one they may have gone short of water. A few nibbles here and there won't usually give them any trouble so how severe is the munching? A pic would help if you can manage one, as it lets us know the extent of the problem. Sorry for so many questions! 

25/01/2014 at 16:45

I will try to provide a picture next week if I can work how to add one to my post! They are on north east facing wall and the garden is enclosed. They only get a short spell of sunshine in the early morning. I planted them a little way from the wall and keep them well watered. They have grown about an inch since planting. I havent fed them yet 

25/01/2014 at 16:56

Was the soil a bit impoverished perhaps? They can take a little while to establish, but they really should be putting on good growth if they've been in that length of time. Even left in the pot they've been bought in they'd grow more than that. I bought one a couple of years ago which sat in it's 6" pot for almost a year (it was around 18/24") and it had grown a few inches by the time it was planted. Maybe whatever's munching above ground is also munching below. Have you checked for vine weevil? The adults just nibble little bits of the foliage and don't usually do much harm but the grubs below ground eat the roots and do the real damage.

25/01/2014 at 17:29

I've got one of these and it isn't growing too slowly but I can't get it  to cling to the wall. In the summer it looked as though it was, but with the first wind/rain, down it came,

I'm not being very impressed so far

25/01/2014 at 17:43

I used a bit of wire on vine eyes to keep it against the wall initially but you can also 'stick' the shoots onto walls with gaffer tape or similar till they get going. I don't live there anymore so I don't know if it's still attached nut! 

I'll do a drive by one day... 

25/01/2014 at 17:49

I remember sticky taping one of those small leafed ivies to the wall many years ago Fg. It worked well, thanks for reminding me. 

I think I prefer the deciduous one though. I like the dried bracts(?) against bare stems and the tree they climb up. I gave that a bit of help as I wanted to wrap it round initially so it didn't fall off. Cable clips did the job

28/01/2014 at 00:19

I think they can take more than two years to get going; but when they get in their stride they grow really well.  They like a north-facing aspect.

28/01/2014 at 08:56

Mine took several years to get going, but now is growing so well I have to prune it back every year.  The position yours is in Rubber seems perfect so just be patient.  Perhaps give it a feed. I had to 'help' it to get going with it's 'clinging' by sticking plastic grippers to the wall which I have now removed.  Good luck Rubber as it will look lovely when in flower.

29/01/2014 at 16:38

What feed should I try?

29/01/2014 at 16:53

Blood fish and bone.

07/02/2014 at 18:26

Thanks

email image
12 messages