Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clivia not flowering

Can anyone advice me how to get my old clivia to flower again. I think it is four years since last time. It stands in a window in my living room and don't get too much direct sunlight. I think the winter conditions must be right for it as it triggers my epiphyllum to flower.

My Father's wife has several from the same source (my gran) and hers flowers every year despite being smaller plants in the same pot. It hasn't been repotted in a while as I thought they liked being potbound.

If the summer is good it goes outside for a couple of months (my father's wife does that too in Sweden). Feeding is less regular. It happens more when I remember it.

It looks healthy but doesn't flower at the moment.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

The conditions needed for epiphyllum to flower are quite different to those needed by clivia.  The former needs shortening daylight hours to promote flowering - clivia needs lengthening daylight hours in order to bloom.

Info on coaxing clivias into flower here  http://www.growingwithplants.com/2012/03/clivia-oh-clivia-some-new-seedlings.html

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Mine spends the winters in front of the balcony doors on the landing. It gets no water at all from October to about now. I will slowly start watering it next week about once a week with a small amount of liquid general fertilizer, more as the buds start to show. It is about about 50cm in circumference in a 25cm pot. Last year it produced about 15 flowers.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

The reason I mentioned both is that they need time at lowish temperature and that seems what this window provides at least for the epiphyllum so I thought the temperature would benefact both. The window is quite low so it gets very shifting natural light from long in the summer to short in winter which should suite them both I thought. Might move the clivia to the bedroom and see if it does better there.

I'm surprised at the comment about water, I thought too much water would lead to stunted flowers. Could a restrictive water regime be the problem?

• Give it a cold holiday! I have a yellow Clivia and I always put it in our frost free garage for about a month. This seems to promote flowering come the spring time.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

I assume you have a window there. Don't really have a cold light place to put it. Strangely enough the ones my father's wife has are not given this kind of treatment.