London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
21 to 31 of 31 messages
24/08/2013 at 12:16

Whoa, Mags!

Listen to Dove. salt will kill both slugs and your  plants. 

You need slugs in a compost heap. They make compost.

12/04/2014 at 11:38

Use organic Nemaslug if you really want to get rid of them. What about snails. My compost bin is full of them too. But the thought that while they are in there, they are not on the allotment. 

09/06/2014 at 18:49

For the last few years, slugs have waged war in my garden.  The last straw was when they ate the THIRD lot of green beans I had planted - in a week!  I'd tried everything..copper wire, crushed eggshells, coffee grounds, beer traps, crushed nutshells...everything I could think of! No use whatsoever.  Then I started laying traps for them.  I've got to know my enemy - when they come out, what they like to eat, where to find them, so I put down little gifts of food for them, put a black (has to be black) microwave dish down over the top and wait....hehehe.  I also discovered they have an extremely strong homing instinct, so I send them on a permanent holiday via the green rubbish bin down to the tip!

09/09/2014 at 01:17

slugs are like midgies every time you kill one ten or more come to the funeral rather depressing 

15/09/2014 at 22:34

I've been waging war on the slimy things for a few years now. I periodically patrol the garden wearing rubber gloves and carrying a plastic bag with no holes (this is important - they can get out through a very small hole). It is particularly useful to do this either at dusk or after rain when the slugs are out in force. I,too, know their favourite haunts. I drop them into the bag and, at the end of the patrol, tie up the bag and drop it into the dust bin. I doubt whether it is possible to get rid of them altogether, (this year they completely demolished my over-wintered runner beans, my dahlias, and about a dozen young gazanias which I had grown from seed and were respectable plants when they went into the garden) but the enemy numbers have gone down significantly. I would say I collect less in a week than I was gathering on a daily basis just a few years ago. I also realised that when I bought potted plants from any garden centre, I was regularly importing a fresh lot of eggs, if not live slugs, so I now inspect the compost and root ball very carefully. I know all about 'not disturbing the roots', but I reason if I don't let the roots dry out and get the thing planted as quickly as possible it has a better chance than if I leave it to be eaten away!

19/09/2014 at 23:24
Chuck in a hedgehog or a frog or three! They'll scoff the lot!
20/09/2014 at 06:45

In my previous job got asked loads of times where people could buy hedgehogs to eat their garden slugs.  Even got asked once where one could buy a barn owl.  I really wanted to say the Co-op but didnt. 

I loath and detest slugs, spend a lot of time and money selecting plants to attract wildlife into my garden.  Yes I know that if you want hedgehogs you need slugs etc etc but if that was all you needed I'd have a queue down the street waiting to move into my garden.

I do use a limited amount of organic slug pellets early in the year (feb) in the places where I know they hang out.  Under the BBQ cover is a favourite, and behind the shed.  Mainly I keep the numbers down by creeping round the garden at dusk like a loony collecting them in placcy bags. I tie them up and dump them in the bin.  I am getting less now than I used to. I know some people cut them up with sissors but the thought of it makes me gag, yuk.

21/09/2014 at 12:34

I'm glad I'm not the only one using the plastic bag method! I also have to confess that occasionally I use the 'nasty' slug pellets. I use them sparingly and in desperation when I can't locate repeating offenders. The pellets go down in the evening and the easily spotted slugs that have taken the bait are collected into a bag early the following morning before any higher form of life discovers them. I'm also considering leaving a few empty flower pots in 'danger zones' where the slugs can congregate and be easily removed. Has anyone tried this? Will it work? Another thing, I wear rubber gloves when doing the collecting. I would gag at touching them, never mind cutting them up!

22/09/2014 at 07:49

I watched Monty Don's TV show this week & he said to occasionally turn the compost heap over. That's all well & good if you've space for 2 areas. My compost heap is contained in an area app. 1.5 x 1.5 x 2 meters high. How am I supposed to follow that advice. When I built it, I included 2 access points, the compost at the base looks good, but I just can't see the top layers ever rotting down! 

22/09/2014 at 08:09

Just turn it anyway gsdff - that's what I do with mine.  You can buy twirly plunger things (sorry not sure of the proper name ) made specifically for the purpose.  It's like a big corkscrew which you push down into the bin, and when you lift it out it mixes all the contents to keep it health and help it rot down quicker. 

You might have been better making it a bit lower so that you can get into it more easily though. Have you got a stepladder? 

22/09/2014 at 08:10

My compost bins are about 1m x 1m x 1m.  They're both full at the moment, so to turn them I'm going to  put a tarpaulin/plastic sheet on the ground and empty a bin onto it, stir it around and load it all back into the bin. 

email image
21 to 31 of 31 messages