Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

crocuses

A friend who lives in Huddersfield tells me the crocuses she planted in the church garden last autumn haven't come up.  She has dug them up and there doesn't appear to be any mice damage.  They aren't in a shady position, and everything else is growing normally, so I wonder what has happened to these crocuses - any ideas? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Do we know what type of crocuses these are? 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Birds? Sparrows particularly like the yellow ones.image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

When she dug them up had they put down a root system?

• Keyser SozeKeyser Soze Posts: 126

Are you sure she didn't plant pickled onions?

Sorry, couldn't resist that one! It is such a shame though, the waiting and expectation is bad enough without having them fail.

I hope she was rewarded with some other spring beauties instead.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Squirrels will dig them up and take them but if the bulbs are all there, it rules that out. Some of the birds have had a nibble at a few of my cream ones, but it's the yellows they're particularly fond of. If they haven't flowered though, it also rules that out. They're normally pretty forgiving of conditions. Is they're something unsuitable in the area they're planted like a bog for instance? Or are they planted too deeply?

Or were they Autumn crocus perhaps - Colchicum (naked ladies)- and not the usual spring flowering ones?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Fairy you've done it now, it will be Colchicum fever imageimage