London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
20 messages
02/01/2014 at 15:16

Have some beautiful red Crosmosia.  Now I know some people think they are weeds, but I love them.  Problem is there are getting very thick.. Can I divide them like other perennials, and if so when would you suggest I do this.  I can just cut down last years growth, as the birds like to hide in them, and the new shots are already showing through.  I assume dividing will also encourage more flowers, is that right?

02/01/2014 at 16:05

If you dig them up and separate them,the new bulb will be at the top. Old bulbs below that can be thrown away A congested clump will have chains of bulbs, only the latest years will flower.  When you replant them,give the soil a handful of fertiliser and/or compost and space them a few inches apart.

02/01/2014 at 16:10

Hi Novice23, like you I love the Crocosmia and Lucifer is my favourite standing a good 3ft tall and a brilliant red.  I always split mine in the spring - March/April time but it depends where you live. Mine aren't showing through yet so perhaps I live further north than you!  I remove some of the old bulbs and this then leaves room for more bulbs to form, and thus giving you more fresh flowers to form. Good luck!

02/01/2014 at 16:14

Crocosmia grow from corms, and each year a new one develops on top of the old. If you dig them up you will find layers of corms. The topmost ones will be flowering size, so just twist them off and replant . You should also be able to grow on some of the older ones if you want more plants, so choose the best, separate and plant elsewhere. Throw out or give away any you don't need, they will take over your garden if you try to compost them! 

You do need to feed crocosmia or they can be shy to flower, so add lots of homemade compost when you replant.

02/01/2014 at 16:16

Snap, fidgetbones!

02/01/2014 at 16:22

That reminds me, i have some Lucifer to split up.

02/01/2014 at 19:15

Yep, much like weeds here.  I simply dig up a large clump and chop down with a spade then pot up into 3 litre pots or replant.  The divided clumps flower reliably every year.  

A divided clump planted in large pot and buried in the ground enables it to be restrained without affecting the flowering.

Lucifer is such a wonderful red.....nothing quite like it I think.

02/01/2014 at 23:47

Despite popular belief Crocosmia actually come from a wet part of Africa where they get a lot of rain and therefore they like a good drenching. With our current weather this won't be of a lot of interest I'm sure, but but well worth keeping in mind if you get a dry spell or hot summer again. If it is dry when you divide them in the Spring add a good helping of rich compost and keep very well watered. I have found this works well.

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/

03/01/2014 at 01:51
The long, strappy leaves are quite strong & useful for temporary tying in of climbers.
I have also used them for wrapping ad hoc Christmas wreaths and the like.
I suspect I'm not the only one who just pulls the leaves firmly out without bothering about a spade!
03/01/2014 at 20:20

Well thank you all for such a quick response.  So glad I can keep my Crocosmsia and contain them.  I will divide and take out the old bulbs and hopefully get more flowers next year.   Thanks for the tip about watering higgy50, but I don't think that is a problem at the moment.   Sandranne I am in Sussex, where is it still wet, but quite warm, so most of my spring bulbs are showing, now.   

Thanks again everyone for your help and advice. 

04/01/2014 at 18:58
I've found this thread really interesting - and can't wait for Spring to come, so that I can divide my Lucifers......I think I'll just replant the top corms and add good compost. But I'm wondering how deep I ought to plant them. I remember reading somewhere that it was quite important - but can't remember what the advice was!
04/01/2014 at 19:06

Normal  depth is fine but you will see the corms growing on the surface as well as deep.  For me they will grow in dry spots or in damp spots

04/01/2014 at 22:05
Thanks, Verdun.
04/01/2014 at 22:34

Mine have shoots already but will be brave and divide as they have not been split for as few years. I can get to them while I have space. Thanks for the advice

05/01/2014 at 13:58

Thanks again everyone, I will split as soon as the weather allows digging without a lifebelt!.

Looking forward to seeing what I can achieve next summer with these.  Incidentally do you normally stake them, mine seem to topple, but wonder now if that is because the corms are growing nearer the surface as I haven't done anything to them for the five or so years we have been here. 

05/01/2014 at 14:08

Hiya novice

Yes, I do stake my crocosmias because they do grow quite large.  But they look better upright anyway....discreetly with short (hidden) bamboos as a tripod and neutral twine.    Not too tight but enough to be neat without being strangled.....none of us like to be strangled methinks .  I stake when flower stems are forming.  When flowering is over I remove flowered stems and supports.  I then have attactive natural looking foliage until summer's end

(no nothing to do with corms being near the surface novice)

09/01/2014 at 08:58

Thaks Verdun, it would seem I wait too late to stake mine, so will try earlier in the year.  I also take out foliage as well as flower stems, but only late in the autumn.  

Thanks for all you advice, will try you suggestions and hope I don't kill too much. 

09/01/2014 at 13:52

You won't kill anything novice 

26/07/2014 at 13:59

Have a lovely display of Crosmosia now and with some earlier staking they are upright. However, have been out of action since beginning of June with broken ankle so having to rely on OM to water and he is much stingyer than I am with the hose.   Rest of the garden looks a jungle, but at least the fiery red of the Crosmosia looks great.

Lyn
26/07/2014 at 23:23

Thank you for the update.

My garden sounds like yours at the moment, everything just grows and grows. 

I hope your ankle will soon mend and you can get out to do some tidying. Its frustrating just to look at it knowing it needs doing.

email image
20 messages