London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
5 messages
11/08/2012 at 14:31
We have a conifer hedge which is 3metres hin hieght and getting difficult for r to trim however if the height was reduced to 2m (feet) i am sure I could mange to keep it tidy, I am just concerned if I cut a metre off it may damage the conifers them selves of which I would not want to do.?
11/08/2012 at 15:38
I think you,will be ok. Are they Leylandii? As long as you don't cut hard into old wood...ie. make sure you don't cut below any green shoots. Why not cut the height back by say half a metre for now and then cut again harder next spring?
11/08/2012 at 17:10

i agree with christopher2, i had an identical hedge years ago and did exactly what he suggested to you, no harm came to the trees.

11/08/2012 at 18:18

Yes, you can cut them back safely. It doesn't matter if you cut into brown wood when removing the central wood as long as there are some green shoots left on the outer edge to grow.

14/08/2012 at 08:54

Hi  I cut one myself without having any idea what I was doing.. I basically hacked at it.  The tree was dead within weeks!  I then paid a tree surgeon to do our long hedge, yes it cost £80, but 3 yeras on the trees are still there and forming a great thick hedge!

email image
5 messages