Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Delphiniums not germinating!!

Hi everyone, this is my first attempt at sowing delphinium seeds and so far I'm not seeing anything. I've sown them in multi purpose compost and have kept the soil moist in my polytunne. Anything I have heard people say is that they are easy to grow!

Am I a bit premature in expecting to see anything yet, it's been about a week give or take. Have I got them in the right growing conditions? Any help would be really appreciated...they are really beautiful flowers and I would love to have them in my allotment image

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

A week isn't really all that long. I planted foxgloves this year and thought they would never come but they did. Give it another wee while.

• The info on back of seed packet wasn't that informative but have just looked online and they have said 1-3 months!! If I'd known that I would of sown them earlier lol 

• aym280 says:

Depends on the freshness of the seeds. Some are happy to oblige and others won't budge. Even after germination, you have to be very careful of slugs and snails when you put them out. I had 4 missing ... You really have to be a bit more patient. 

See original post

Are these flower seeds like parsnips...having to be bought fresh every season?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't grow them now but I used to start them at new year in the cold GH because as Ranunculaceae I thought they might need the  chill, it workedimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I've germinated them in both spring and autumn but the freshness is the deciding factor in my experience image

• karen paulkaren paul Posts: 230

I shall watch this thread with interest as I have had trouble too! I have sown 2 new packets of seed and have only had 6 germinate, 4 of which wilted and the other 2 have still only got their germination 2 leaves after 2 months! Feeling very disappointed and put off :( Nice to know its not just me though because I really have tried my best with them. All that care for nothing :(

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Karen - I've found the Pacific Giants are the easiest to germinate. Cover the seeds with the very finest sprinkling of seed compost and don't get the compost too wet. Once germinated put them somewhere cool. Good luck and don't give up image