London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
8 messages
21/04/2013 at 16:56

Hi

Has anyone any ideas on what to plant in this really difficult area. It's near the house, so would love to make it a feature. We've tried herbs and veg, all of which have struggled due to the lack of sun for most of the day.

If I turned into a flowered area, what would you suggest?

Thanks!!

21/04/2013 at 17:04

Hi jmeds-what kind of soil do you have and how big an area is it? There are lots of shade loving plants-hostas,ferns,periwinkle,euphorbia, heucheras etc but your conditions will make a difference!

21/04/2013 at 17:53

Thanks Fairygirl - you've already given me some ideas!! The soil gets a lot of rainwater run off. For that reason, we're going to make some raised beds. It's really the lack of sunlight that the problems, just a few hours in the morning.

21/04/2013 at 18:06

There's all Fairgirl's suggestions plus hellebores, pulmonarias, aconitums, actaeas, brunneras, dicentras, loads of things, if you google 'plants for shade' you'll get lots but remember to add your soil type.

21/04/2013 at 18:06
Jmeds, hiya.
There's a lot to,be said for growing according to,the conditions ??ou have.
It seems ??ou have a fairly wet shady site. This is perfect for ferns.....lovely shades of dark and light greens as well as silvery greys. Astllbes and astrantias love shade and damp. Pulmonarias in full flower now will do well there. There are shade loving geraniums, grasses like hackanochloa....absolutely stunning.....carex with coloured foliage. Aconitums ...taller with blue or purple flowers in summer, corydalis flexuosa with brilliant blue flowers. Heucheras. ESP the yellow ones. White arum lilies will love it there too. Shrubs like skimmia. Sarcoccoca....fantastic winter scent....is lovely evergreen. Daphne's and hydrangeas will do,well there.
You,could have a very attractive, low maintenance foliage and flower area there of interest throughout the year....
Excited?
21/04/2013 at 18:32

Most large flowered clematis will also grow happily in shade, if you want some climbers.

21/04/2013 at 18:34

If i had to choose; shady garden or sunny, I'd pick shady every time.

21/04/2013 at 20:17

Thanks everyone, lots of ideas!!

email image
8 messages