London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
8 messages
07/05/2013 at 10:37

When I was planting some flowers that I got at the weekend (from a garden centre) I noticed some little eggs in the soil. The 'shell' was crispy so to speak and had white liquid inside

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23177.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

This is in the begonias but also found in an old bag of compost that I had. Very spherical in shape

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/23178.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

This was in periwinkle and is more oval shaped.

07/05/2013 at 10:41

i think its a fertilizer of some descirption.  I've seen these in pots ive bought from garden centres too.

07/05/2013 at 10:47

Slow release fertilizer -not eggs-leave them alone

07/05/2013 at 11:00

Ah, and so it begins, the most frequently asked question on the old Beeb site.

07/05/2013 at 11:36

To be fair, we probably all worried about these 'eggs' at the beginning of our gardening lives, and new gardeners cannot be expected to know what it is.  We had people to answer us, so let us be decent and explain to the newer generation.  Of course the same things will come up year on year, that's the nature of what we do. Thank goodness there are new gardeners coming along to ask the old questions, and thank goodness there are we old fogeys around to anser them - long may it last.

Amy-new-at-this, thank you not only for asking the question, but for sending decent clear pictures of what it was you wanted identified, that makes it all so much easier, from eggs to leaves. Continue to garden and to love it, there is nothing better on this green earth that trying to keep it that way. 

07/05/2013 at 12:08

Yes, I have to agree that the clarity of the photos is very helpful.

And for some reason only half of my answer was posted. I did go on to say it is better to ask for identification than to leave nasties in the soil or to sit and worry about what villains one might have brought into the garden.

Wonder why my amswer was cropped!

LM
07/05/2013 at 13:52

you can even buy some more in the garden centre. I use them in my pots.

07/05/2013 at 17:03

Oh I am glad they're not eggs! Thanks everyone for your help! I would have hated to bring more slugs or snails (or even worsI) into our garden. 

Every year i tell myself I will do gardening this year so we can appreciate our garden and every winter the dog reclaims it. Gotten fed up with it so this is the year my green fingers will remain on! the extent of my knowledge  has been how to kill teasels (which our garden is plagued with them but none this year think they've gotten the message!) and planting bulbs but I think most of mine have died and decomposed as I can't even find them in the pots! But thanks to everyone being really helpful on here my knowledge Is growing.

email image
8 messages