Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Extra thorny roses

I really do apologise if this is a daft question. 

When I planted my David Austin Gertrude Jekyll and Harlow Carr roses, they didn't seem too thorny, but now the stems are absolutely cover in thorns. 

Is there a reason for this ?  Is it something I'm doing wrong ? I've planted roses previously and the same thing happened, so I'm thinking it might be something I'm doing.

Any advice ? 

Made the mistake of clearing underneath the rose and got a loads of thorns stuck in my head, not a good time.  Two weeks later I was still finding them stuck in my head image 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,027

Gertrude Jekyll is thorny, perhaps it wasn't at first because it was young. A Shropshire Lad is not very thorny.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Love it Edd image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Surely there are longer, more impressive sounding words for thorns and pricklesimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,027

Drat, Edd is right. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorns,_spines,_and_prickles  I've always called them thorns and so do most of the rose sites. So did Shakespeare.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

OMG, I love a Pedant.

Devon.
  • GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

If you want thorns, Arthur Bell is a monster.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

Well, all I can say is that my Gertrude Jekyll is a vary prickly customer but while Kiftsgate is pretty spiky, neither is as sharp or prickly as my toothache tree which has whoppers.   Don't know its botanical name as I've lost the label but apparently the natives used it for toothache.   No idea if they're thorns or prickles either.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I have just sent Fishy a text, I will let you know later.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

ah you lot are a funny bunch. imageimage

Thank you kindly for educating me on prickles EDD, as you say gardening is a constant learning curve.  You all lost me a bit though when you started speaking Shakespeare image

• Peter Beale Roses publish a 'thornability' scale with their roses, so you can order accordingly when you buy.