Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Foxglove seedlings

I have been growing some foxglove seedlings on my window sill. They are now quite big do I pot them on, it seems a bit cold to put them outside?

• Foxgloves are fully hardy and will survive the hardest of winters.  However, you don't want to put them straight outside now as they need 'hardening off' first.  If you have a cold frame, they should be fine put in there, otherwise move them outside on milder days and bring them in at night or when it's below freezing during the day.  After a couple of weeks of doing that they should be fine left outside, but giving them the protection of a cold frame or a tent of fleece would be safest.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • yes thats right ,I have hundreds ,I planted some out and they are fine ,some I have in the green house ,just in case and will pass them on to other growers.imageyou will find that they look stunning grouped together in a border rather than single.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks for all the advice, I will transfer them out into the coldframe tomorrow and give them some extra fleece too.image

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

Do they grow better in the shade or in full sun?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

They are basically woodland plants-but they grow best in sun or dappled shade.

• Hollie- Hock wrote (see)

--- and hopefully they will self seed as well

LOL, I don't think you'll find that to be a problem! They get everywhere!

• Too true! thankfully.image

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

No amount of scattering the seed where I would like new plants has ever worked for me! image They always self-seed somehwhere else instead.....

I tend to leave them be, as the spots they've found are often fine.

BTW small plants are slug food too IMO. J.