Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

FRUIT TREES

when replacing the grease band on my pear tree I found there were bugs living behind the old band and that the bark was rotting, how can I protect my tree without killing it?

• you needed to re-place the grease band  or paint one on,I put a new grease on the tree every year.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I had a similar problem with a young apple tree and a tree guard - the ants built a nest behind it and the mud caused the bark to rot.  However, once it was exposed to the air it righted itself and healed over.

One tip I learnt from a neighbour is to wrap strips of black bin bag round the trunk over the damaged bark - like a bandage.  We get deer, who occasionally decide to strip the bark from branches.  The black plastic acts like a second skin and the tree keeps going (I have two magnolia stellatas which have been like that for three years now - each year I retie the bandage over a slightly smaller portion of the wound to let a bit more heal).