Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

I have just discovered a huge bit of fungus in my garden.  Googled to find out what it was but can't find any images to match.  Have taken a pic and would be grateful if anyone knows what it is and how best to get rid of it!  Other fungi have grown on the same site (it's by a log stump) but this is a new one!

It's over, that black is what happens when the fruiting bodies breakdown. 

I can't ID it at this stage but fungi experts might. If you have stumps and logs you'll have fungi. you can remove the bits you see but the underground part is still there

Thanks.  Wondering if there's anything I can treat the ground with to stop re-growth.  The other fungi have all grown off the stump, which I expected, but this one seems to have struck out on its own!

Those are only the fruiting bodies - the main fungal body (mycelium) is likely growing within the roots of the stump.  That's actually a very good thing as it will break the dead roots down into something your plants can eventually feed on.  The mushrooms look a bit like ink caps - I occasionally find those growing where I've use a bark mulch.

Thanks Bob - the original mulch here was bark chips but after it all got blown away, I used cocoa shell.  I guess seeing as mushroom compost is a good thing then it's fine to leave these alone?  What do I do about all the little flies and other flying creatures that form clouds around it?  Just ignore them?  Saves me one area to weed, I suppose!