London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
5 messages
23/09/2013 at 11:46

Hi

I have just discovered a huge bit of fungus in my garden.  Googled to find out what it was but can't find any images to match.  Have taken a pic and would be grateful if anyone knows what it is and how best to get rid of it!  Other fungi have grown on the same site (it's by a log stump) but this is a new one!

Thanks

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/31559.jpg?width=835&height=350&mode=max

Tanty

23/09/2013 at 17:00

It's over, that black is what happens when the fruiting bodies breakdown. 

I can't ID it at this stage but fungi experts might. If you have stumps and logs you'll have fungi. you can remove the bits you see but the underground part is still there

23/09/2013 at 18:06

Thanks.  Wondering if there's anything I can treat the ground with to stop re-growth.  The other fungi have all grown off the stump, which I expected, but this one seems to have struck out on its own!

23/09/2013 at 19:02

Those are only the fruiting bodies - the main fungal body (mycelium) is likely growing within the roots of the stump.  That's actually a very good thing as it will break the dead roots down into something your plants can eventually feed on.  The mushrooms look a bit like ink caps - I occasionally find those growing where I've use a bark mulch.

24/09/2013 at 11:45

Hi

Thanks Bob - the original mulch here was bark chips but after it all got blown away, I used cocoa shell.  I guess seeing as mushroom compost is a good thing then it's fine to leave these alone?  What do I do about all the little flies and other flying creatures that form clouds around it?  Just ignore them?  Saves me one area to weed, I suppose!

email image
5 messages