Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fuschia fuss

Anyone else having issues with their Fuschia plants this year?

I have six plants of varying ages between 1 year and 4 years old and none of them are showing any signs of budding. In fact all of the stem are resembling dead wood. Would't be overly upset, as there are plenty things growing on that could be replacing them, just find it a bit odd.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I have fuchsias overwintered in teh greenhouse in their hanging baskets which are lined with coir mats so well insulated.  I've been giving them water for a month and no sign of any growth at all.   However, their progeny taken from cuttings last spring and grown on in a long plastic window box, also kept in the unheated greenhouse are happily showing fresh green leaves and shoots.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Outdoor ones showing signs of life now.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FritillaryFritillary Posts: 498

Vine Weevils have had my only fuschia this year. Roots completely gone.

• Flora rosaFlora rosa Posts: 262

No buds on mine yet I'm afraid, no vine weevils either .... Think just a waiting time 

• Well, they've got until mid may to buck their ideas up and then I'll be needing the space for the hundred or so seedlings.
  • ElviraElvira Posts: 17

Ours are all showing growth, but our garden is very sheltered so don't take this as the norm. I foiled vine weevils by putting slate chipping around our strawberries(in a container) maybe it would work around other plants?

• I'll need to dig one up and have a look at the roots and check for Weevils.

• Janet  2Janet 2 Posts: 114
    I've got some in the greenhouse (unheated) that are just starting to shoot plus others that got left outside in pots doing the same. Wish the weather would clear up a bit. It'd cheer them up a bit and me a lot!!
  • nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

scrape away a bit of bark,if they are green they are still alive, be patient.