London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
20 messages
14/04/2014 at 23:44

Hi everyone I have been thinking about getting a few  goats but would worms be a problem if I used there waste as compost? I was looking at how to properly care for goats and came across an article that said you have to worm goats on a regular basis as when they poo and eat the plants  that have grown in same spot they get the worms again as the worms are there waiting in the vegetation so infest the goats again. So if I eat the veg after using the compost wont I get worms too?

15/04/2014 at 00:29

Not if you wash your veg thoroughly! All veg should be washed because it's been in the ground, and something will fertilize it, grins.You should not use it, esp on food crops until it's been well-composted.

15/04/2014 at 00:55

So really Its the same as any compost such as horse manure? 

15/04/2014 at 01:18

Like everything else worms have a life cycle, and you have to worm the goats regularly to break that cycle.

If you want to keep livestock like goats or pigs or even chickens you should talk to an experienced person before you embark on the enterprise. Keeping animals is a serious thing, you have to be there for them every day.

15/04/2014 at 06:18

Christopher - I used to have a smallholding and kept a herd of dairy goats.

If you wish to keep goats can I recommend that you attend a course in goat keeping - if you google you should be able to find a course in your area..  

Goats require a lot of attention, they have to be regularly wormed with appropriate medication and their hooves have to be regularly trimmed by someone who knows how to do this.  You also need to know some specifics about goat husbandry and their health, and of course if you intend to milk your goats you will also need to know about mating and assisting at kidding time, when to call the vet etc.  If you are not an experienced hand-milker you'll need to learn how to do that and dairying skills so that you know how to process milk to keep it safe for consumption.

There are Government regulations which apply to the keeping of sheep and goats, whether they are kept as pets or commercially. https://www.gov.uk/sheep-and-goats-identification-registration-and-movement  and also regulations as to their welfare https://www.gov.uk/sheep-and-goat-  

Also the type of housing and fencing of land needed for goats to be safe, healthy and for them not to cause damage to your own property or that of others, needs to be properly designed and built.  

Check out the British Goat Society website http://www.allgoats.com/index.html , talk to local members and find a recommended goatkeeping course in your area.

Regarding your query about goats - if your goats are properly kept they will not have intestinal worms - you will be worming them regularly with a vermicide recommended by your vet.  Goat manure is very good indeed for composting and growing vegetables. 

If you have any more questions I'd be pleased to help. 

15/04/2014 at 09:19
CHRISTOPHER HODGKISS wrote (see)

So really Its the same as any compost such as horse manure? 

You can use it on the same day it was 'donated', but you'll run the risk of catching something horrible from it if you to use it, esp on food.  To play safe, I personally would make sure it is truly composted.  All fresh manure will be riddled with all sorts and has a high possibility of making a person sick.

15/04/2014 at 12:26

Jealous.com  I love goats and always wanted one, a black and white one and I would call it Toby......OH put his foot down a few years ago and I've got 2 Beagles instead (he likes his lawn too much!!)

15/04/2014 at 12:33

I always keep compost and manure seperate, if your goats/horse droppings are mixed with beddling it needs a good year to settle into decent manure, it depends on the wormers you use as to wether and for how long they stay in the ground.  I usually manure a plot over winter and cover, avoid root veg for that planting year and do roots in year 2. 

15/04/2014 at 15:11

Thanx for all the info everyone.I will look into it further about the care of them I also have to find out if I am allergic too as I am allergic to cats and dogs and had to find new homes for my two dogs that I had from pups and I don't want to go through that again

15/04/2014 at 16:04

Sorry to hijack your thread Christopher, but how much room do two goats need? Have always loved goats and the thought of fresh milk along with cheese, butter, ice cream etc! Alas I don't have a huge garden but have seen "urban homesteaders" in America keep goats in the city. Thanks

KEF
15/04/2014 at 17:39

Not one bit helpful. All I know is that a goat once eat the tyres on my cousin's jeep. He borrowed it to eat the long grass.

15/04/2014 at 18:17

Goats are browsers and certainly do not feed exclusively on grass.  And certainly not long grass!

16/04/2014 at 12:56

@LemonBoy Hi Im not sure how much room they need but I have a 40ftx60ft bit of land at the side of my house I was thinking of setting up an enclosure on 

16/04/2014 at 13:05

@KEF lol I hear they eat virtually anything and eat blackberry and raspberry bushes like candy so are brilliant to clear land that is overgrown with them.

16/04/2014 at 14:25

Better find out how much area they need before you go any further.  Remember you will also need winter forage.  With that small area you will have to buy it in.  Do you know where, and how much it will cost?

With an area that small, I would stick to chickens.

16/04/2014 at 14:50

With an area that small you'll need to buy forage in for the summer as well as the winter.  Access to shelter 24/7 is necessary as is well-insulated weatherproof housing for the winter and overnight. 

More info http://www.smallholder.co.uk/news/1177955.So_you_want_to_keep_a_goat_/?ref=ms 

16/04/2014 at 16:51

As the whole scheme is a non-starter, Dove, do you think we are being wound up??

16/04/2014 at 17:01

I'd quite fancy a couple of giraffes - whatdyathink

16/04/2014 at 18:29

They'd prune the trees for you.

16/04/2014 at 18:32

Pretty useful if you've got a leylandii hedge 

email image
20 messages