London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
6 messages
24/07/2012 at 10:51

About 4 years ago I provided myself with an 'allotment' 12 x 4 metres at the side of my house.  I am having a difficult time this year and consequentially everything I have done has either been too late, not well thought out or lacking in time and effort.  I have given up this year and hope to improve my motivation next year.  I am going to plant green manure for the first time which will save me effort with weeding and improve conditions next year.  However I have always assumed that it was an autumn planting activity as the plant needs to be dug in while it is still green.  If I did plant now would that be another waste of time and if not is there anything that you can recommend?  Thanks.

24/07/2012 at 11:50

I am sorry to hear that you have been having a tough time .  MD was saying that it is not too late to plant some crops and we are all hoping for a great late summer. I would try to grow something rather than lose a whole growing season. My success this year has been pea shoots, I have been using dried peas from the supermarket, cheap and handy. French beans are another suggestion.

25/07/2012 at 21:01

you can still grow salad crops such as lettuce.carrots,spring onions, peas,beans,turnips (milky ones) I would also put some potatoes in for a christmas harvest.

what have you got to lose,maybe a few quid on seeds.  

25/07/2012 at 22:05

Hi Bobloes

I'm looking forward to October/November when I will plant Aquadulce Claudia Broad Beans to overwinter and harvest next spring - no better way to deal with the darkness of the shortening days and dreary weather than to visit your plants and look forward to the spring  and make your plans for the garden 

25/07/2012 at 23:15

Don't give up, do a Monty Don, clear away any vegs which haven't done well, or, lets be honest, after all the rain we've had and no sun, clear away stuff which hasn't done anything, MD's carrots spring to mind  now they made my carrots look like a runaway success.

Go through your seed packets and see which can still be sown in July, you'll be suprised at how much there is. Sun can't be guarenteed but if there is any then you might still get s crop of vegs later on in the growing season.

26/07/2012 at 18:56

As was obvious from my message I am pretty depressed.  However your unremitting enthusiasm has sparked something in me.  I will give it a go.  Thanks - and not just for the advice.

email image
6 messages