London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
13 messages
19/01/2014 at 14:36

My greenhouse is very old and I haven't used it much for the last few years, for a variety of reasons. Today I thought I would sort it out to get ready for some seed sowing, but it's not in any fit state to use. It's been penetrated by ivy and some of the panes have slipped a little bit, letting in water in several places. I've pulled off the ivy and emptied containers full of water, the next thing would be to clear the benches and floor and give it all a good scrub. Not sure if I dare try the electrics! But is it worth it? Are there companies who would come and renovate a greenhouse? Or should I knock it down and invest in a new one? It's large, about 5m x 3m, and I don't need to grow indoor food crops.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36158.jpg?width=336&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36159.jpg?width=336&height=350&mode=max

19/01/2014 at 14:40

wow keep it . find someone to renovate the worst  bits and get a quote for a full job

19/01/2014 at 14:40

looks nice from here landgirl. What's the state of the wood?

19/01/2014 at 14:58

Rotten in places, hard as iron in others. All the putty-type stuff that holds the glass in has broken up.

I did advertise the job on one of those websites where tradesmen are supposed to come back to you with a quote, but no response. I'm not sure where to look for a greenhouse renovator! It was last done about 16 years ago, my OH and I took out all the glass and cleaned it, and he built the coldframes (two of which have lost their glass lids). Since he passed away it's not really been touched and I can't do much on my own. 

Off to do a bit more, think I'll tackle the cobwebs and tidy the pots!

19/01/2014 at 16:00

I'm sorry landgirl, I didn't know you'd lost your OH. There'd be a lot of things here that would be beyond me if I were on my own. Some things are getting a bit hard with both of us.

I think the amount of time required to renovate a GH like yours would make it an expensive job. But it's a lovely looking building and it would be a shame to lose it.

19/01/2014 at 16:24
What a lovely GH. And would cost a fortune to replace it, I am replacing mine but it isn't a beautiful construction like yours, just a stainless steel frame with very fragile glass of which a lot is broken and the door isn't even worth using!

I can't give you any advice I'm afraid as I'm new to all this but I hope you get sorted out. Could a handyman type person maybe do something with it?
Edd
19/01/2014 at 16:29

Please, please, please, Don't pull it down. I would dream of a GH like that. If we did not live so far apart i would come down and sort it out for you for free as i love projects like that.

I would take everything out and give it a spray down with Jeyes Fluid ( inside and out ). Then take things from there.Any odd job man should be able to sort it out. Removing rotten timbers and replacing them is not a great task.

Have you got a local allotment society as you could ask there. I am sure a local gardening firm will be able to sort this out for you. Try a free advert in the supermarkets or a free site on the web.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&ved=0CGIQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gumtree.com%2Ffreebies%2Fnorthamptonshire%2Ffree%2Bfree%2Bfree&ei=xvzbUtDHLcT17AaxtYCoBQ&usg=AFQjCNEnsBs_n7CAwk6F40J1h_8RHdq_6Q&bvm=bv.59568121,d.ZGU

19/01/2014 at 16:36

Wow! That is a lovely greenhouse. I agree with Edd. It would be such a shame to pull down such a lovely greenhouse.

19/01/2014 at 17:05

I feel encouraged now - thanks folks. To me, the greenhouse appears old, tired and shabby - bit like me, really!

Thanks for the kind words, nut - I do miss him, and not just for all the jobs he could do! 

I've done a bit more tidying, did you know that plastic bags disintegrate into millions of pieces after a while?

Edd
19/01/2014 at 17:10

Plastic is the best and worst invention in the world.!!!

19/01/2014 at 17:35

they do landgirl.

I heard it summed up in a discussion as 'they break up but they never break down'.

This gardens has lots of little bits of blue plastic from dumped fertilizer sacks. 

You're right Edd.

19/01/2014 at 21:17

Agree with edd, hate carrier bags, find bits everywhere all the time! 

Landgirl, thats a truly amazing greenhouse, what I'd give to have that! All I've got is an 8x6 bought for £50 a couple of years ago, apparently it was about 20 years old when I purchased it, and is missing the railing to keep the door in place and a pane of glass on the door too, can't afford anything decent. Please do keep it 

19/01/2014 at 21:48

Landgirl you have a PM

Clueless

email image
13 messages