London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
19 messages
17/01/2013 at 13:35
I have a rough stone dense section which is barked but have a lot of ground elder in there, as the area is so rough (partial building debris , heavy clay, trees) it is difficult to dig . I don't tend to use weed killers as have a dog but if one was suitable I'd try it.
17/01/2013 at 13:50

Have you tried Round-up?

17/01/2013 at 14:02
I have not used any weed killers due to their toxic nature and the fact my dog is around the garden . I think I shall have to just pull out what I can and put up with the rest .
17/01/2013 at 14:14

That is your choice of course but I would not consider it toxic-the only other solution is to burn it off with a flame -gun wont get rid if it permanently though

17/01/2013 at 14:27
I shall have a look into it , thanks .
Lyn
17/01/2013 at 16:04

When I first moved into my present address and big garden, the ground elder was everywhere, I dug it out by hand, its really the only effective way, but you cant leave the slightest bit in there. It is very shallow rooted, so hope fully you can just pick at it, it will take a long time, but I got on top of it in one season. I just see the odd bit that got snapped off, but can easily grab it out now.

17/01/2013 at 16:46
Thanks lyn at least it'll be good exercise getting it all out !
Lyn
17/01/2013 at 16:48

I find it quite therapeutic, find something comfie to kneel on, take a coffee and make a start. its addictive!

17/01/2013 at 16:51
Yes I see what you mean , put like that with a cuppa it does sound therapeutic ...the dog can always 'watch and give me advice '
17/01/2013 at 18:30

I had a lot of this in my clay soil but glyphosate based weedkiller (Roundup) got rid of it eventually.  Roundup is non-toxic to animals, once it has dried onto the leaves, so do it on a sunny day and keep the dog inside until it has dried.  You want to spray it when it is in full growth and about to flower for best results.  Leave it to die down completely before removing it and the glyphosate should travel to where it's really needed, the roots.  Small patches of it may re-appear, so will need another treatment but as long as you don't let it seed, you will eventually be rid of the stuff.

17/01/2013 at 19:11

I agree with BobTheGardener - Roundup will not affect your dog  once it has dried onto the leaves.  As he says, spray it when it is in full grrowth - it sometimes helps takeup if you bruise a few of the leaves on each plant.  Leave it to die down completely before pulling it up - that means that the glyphosate has travelled down to the roots.  This may take some weeks - be patient. 

Your dog will be fine as long as he keeps off it until it has dried. 

17/01/2013 at 22:34

If you have never used weedkiller on it you could of course pick it and eat it!  it's a bit like spinich.

18/01/2013 at 11:05

bunnysgarden,

Agree entirely with Bob and Dove - no danger at all, provided you look after the dog and adopt basic hygiene: follow the instructions on the container, wear rubber gloves or disposables, don't splash the stuff on yourself (I usually wear protective glasses), wait for a dry day.

I've got rid of several infestations quite easily.

18/01/2013 at 13:46

We have SO MUCH ground elder in our garden it's unbelievable.  I think it could qualify for a national collection! 

Roundup got rid of it when we first purchased our house in summer 2012 and then one of the very overgrown flowerbeds was dug over and all traces of ground elder that we could see were removed.  Still lots trying to come up there though! 

I think it's going to be a long hard slog to get rid of it all.  

We uncovered a patch at the back of the garden that had been covered in black plastic sheeting for a couple of years.  That was about 2 months ago and now ground elder is shooting up there like a carpet.  Would roundup be effective this time of year so should I try and dig it out?  We want to sow grass seed on the area eventually.  

Awful stuff!

18/01/2013 at 16:57

I think the advice I was given for getting rid of docks would apply, dig it up hang it up to dry for 7 years and then burn it.

18/01/2013 at 17:25

I would leave it until there is good leaf growth - about April. Good hunting, lass!

18/01/2013 at 18:32

We uncovered a patch at the back of the garden that had been covered in black plastic sheeting for a couple of years.  That was about 2 months ago and now ground elder is shooting up there like a carpet.  Would roundup be effective this time of year so should I try and dig it out?  We want to sow grass seed on the area eventually.  

Awful stuff!

Get rid of what you can, sow your grass and mow it regularly - regular mowing will kill if off - eventually 

Lyn
18/01/2013 at 18:47
My dad had used roundup several times over a period of 25 years on the garden I am now in, and it still came up, IMO digging out is the only long-term way. Letting it seed dosnt make much difference as it spreads by underground roots, that's why if you leave any tiny bit in, it will grow again.
18/01/2013 at 21:53
Thank you for your views, I think I will approach with the old fashioned dig out what I can method , and keep it relatively contained to that area if I can.
email image
19 messages