Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hedge dying

Hedge dying

Hi my name is Alfie and I am Swedish hence the swinglish grammar.  We have lived in our house with this garden since 1987.

I enclose some pictures to explain the hedge problem we now have.

Part of the hedge is dying.

Over the years we have been cutting our hedge 5 - 6 times in Spring  Summer  and Autumn.  A few years ago we start seeing some brown leaves in the hedge,  growing to dying twigs. And lately now we found a full bush have dyed.  

See pictures.

I have to admit  I know nothing about Gardening. I know how to cut the grass and the hedge. The flowerbeds my wife take care of.  The hedge have been here long before we purchased this property. So it is and old hedge.

So here I come to my question can I do anything to try to put some life into our old hedge  ???. 

Alfie the Swede

[email protected] 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,884

Hi Alfie. So far, unfortunately, there are no pictures to be seen.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hi Alfie - to upload photos you need to start with the camera icon.  

You may need to reduce the size of your photos as the site cannot deal with large ones - however at the moment it just fails to upload them and doesn't tell you why. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Apologize a 75 year old Swede not knowing much about computer even less about gardning.

So if you can give me some hints about how to try saving my hedge.

All the best Alfie the Swede

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

It looks like a privet hedge. I think the dead patches are due to anthracnose or twig blight. This is worse in damp weather.

In privets, the disease is most often caused by the fungus Glomerella cingulata. Anthracnose in existing privets is discouraged by removing and destroying all affected wood and foliage, including foliage that falls on the ground, and thinning shrubs during winter months to improve air circulation. Replace ruined shrubs with anthracnose-resistant privets such as amur (L. amurense), ibota (L. obtusifolium), regal (L. obtusifolium “Regelianum”) or California privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium Hassk).