London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
161 to 180 of 812 messages
01/03/2014 at 09:04

I've been trying to think practically about which plants are the most likely to have been annihilated - I'm thinking that maybe moisture loving shrubs, e.g. dogwood etc might have survived, but those that need good drainage e.g. Mediterranean plants, bays, rosemary etc will undoubtedly have succumbed.  That's guiding my plans ....

01/03/2014 at 09:38

We are having some gardeners visit work (James Wong and Christine Walkden are 2 I can remember) for a seminar, and tickets are balloted. I have put my name down for one (no promises I'll win a spot) and we get to ask a question. mine relates to the flooding and gardening  Will let you all know if I am successful and what, if any, answer I get! 

Cross your fingers for me 

01/03/2014 at 09:47

Wow!  Lucky you - love Christine W 

01/03/2014 at 09:51

I am so crossing my fingers it's ridiculous  A miracle I can do anything 

01/03/2014 at 14:06
A list of suggested plants would be nice so we know cuttings to beg / steal from friends gardens.
01/03/2014 at 17:50

Hello all - here is an update on what is happening at the Floods end!

There is a group of two or three people coordinating efforts.  At the moment it is a five-point plan:

1  Coordinate donations of plants, seeds, etc (that's what we are part of on this message board, thank you all so much!)

2 Recruit people locally in the flooded areas who can offer space in gardens / halls etc to store donated plants so that those with flooded gardens can come and collect them.

3  Provide free professional advice to those who have had their gardens ruined - the Gardenadvice website has already rolled up and offered its help for free, they've been great!

4  Coordinate local volunteers to roll their sleeves up and help with the actual planting and renovation process.

5  Create some planters, pots and tubs with pretty plants as a starter and morale booster for those whose soil is wrecked and can't easily be cured.

I'm working on the logistics bit for getting plants from one end of the country to the other.  Thank you IMMENSELY to those of you who have said they'd be happy to make a trip in a van and pick up items on the way - that is marvellous.  I'm also trying to drum up support from national companies to see if they can help us.

There is already a place established at the Somerset end for donated plants (one of the coordinators has cleared space in their own plot) so if anyone does have some offerings already let me know.

Thanks everyone

Rosie

01/03/2014 at 18:09

Thanks  for the update Rosie........

Bump

01/03/2014 at 18:31

Dove, Verdun, Panda all wonderful suggestions All my fingers crossed for you Panda to get to see these gardening professionals.

Rosie, is the soil affected by sewerage (foul water) or sea water? Or what? Once the land has drained, how toxic will it be?

I know when I was involved in a flood in London In 1976, caused by amazing amounts of rainwater and hailstones with storm drains blocked by Autumn leaves, the loos in basement flats were backing up, causing 'foul water' to contaminate people's flats and gardens. I don't know how long it took for the ground to be safe for growing veg.

I'm happy to make a trip in my car, with as many plants packed in as poss.

01/03/2014 at 18:33

Dovefromabove, that is good thinking and I'm sure you are right - it is dearly beloved shrubs that will have suffered most.  If anyone is able to help with such things, that would be wonderful.  In addition, there is a campaign to plant up some pots and troughs for 'instant' effect in devastated gardens - so pretty bedding plants / veg will also be very much appreciated I think. 

It is a little too early to get a real list from people of what they'd most like... but the waters have started to go down and the Big Clean Up has started, so I hope we'll be getting more information soon.  In the meantime thank you for being willing to help...

01/03/2014 at 18:47

I've got loads of Aubergines and peppers already germinating; will now cosset them to deliver to Somerset; they can all be grown in containers.

01/03/2014 at 18:54

bump

01/03/2014 at 19:38

Excellent Artjak!

01/03/2014 at 20:38

I certainly have a few packets of seeds that I've got from magazines, that I never like to just throw away.  Would love to donate them to this cause if that is any help.  Will keep my eyes peeled for when you are ready for them. 

01/03/2014 at 20:48

Thanks Peanuts - I think that gardenjeannie is acting a Chief Seed Collector!  Watch this thread for her posts...

02/03/2014 at 07:23

Bumping 

02/03/2014 at 11:49

Lunchtime bump.

Artjak, in answer to your question I think the water is only slightly salty (the rivers are tidal) but I'll check.  Certainly the water is foul - everyone involved in the volunteer efforts have been advised to stay absolutely waterproofed, always use gloves, wash thoroughly etc.  It has swept through slurry pits and chemical stores;  not to mention the fact that most animals didn't survive...

We'll have to see just how bad things are, but pots and planters may be the only solution for some, for a season or two at least.  The gardenadvice service is going to offer their professional advice and help (they have been international advisors for flood recovery in disaster areas, so they know what they are talking about).

02/03/2014 at 14:40

Rosie, that is brilliant

02/03/2014 at 18:22

bumpity bump

03/03/2014 at 10:49

Morning bump!

03/03/2014 at 14:54

Almost cake - time bump

161 to 180 of 812 messages