London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
7 messages
28/01/2014 at 12:31

Can anyone tell me why my white Camelia flowers are going brown then dropping, please? Some of them drop as soon as they come out, some drop as they start to turn brown. It has been mild where I live - East Sussex coast - so I don't think it can be due to frost or cold winds.

28/01/2014 at 12:47

White flowers on Camelias are more susceptible to browning and falling.  The position is esp important to white varieties ...they are just not as hardy flower wise as reds or pinks.  For this reason, I have a white variety in a very protected position, out of morning sun of course and protected from bitter winds.  

I had a white variety at the front,of my house few years back and even though it's very mild here the,flowers browned and spoiled. in it's new position, as already said, it's absolutely fine.  

I too am on the coast so salt winds are potentially a problem too on those flowers.  So my protected spot includes defence against sea winds

29/01/2014 at 14:07

can anyone tell me what is best weed killer to us as got loads of weeds but don't want to kill my spring bulbs

29/01/2014 at 15:08

Grav - it could also be a reaction to underwatering at the time of flower formation in August and September.

Eric - start a new thread to get answers on your topic as people will come to this one to read about camellias, won't they?.

29/01/2014 at 19:26

Eric, yes obelixx is right but be careful with any weedkiller there.  You can't use now with bulb foliage appearing.  Tell you what, I'll start a thread called WHAT WEEDKILLER?   to try and get answer for you, ok?

29/01/2014 at 19:33

I'd agree with obelixx too - and when you bear in mind how much hot, dry weather there was last year, it's quite likely that lack of water when it's needed in late summer could have been an issue.

31/01/2014 at 11:02

Thanks Verdun and obelixx, will make sure plenty of water available this August and see if there is any difference. Following on from that though, my next question would be that if it gets plenty of water and still browns and drops, how do I move a well established plant? Would it be better to 'cut my losses' and cut it down and plant another variety? 

email image
7 messages