London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
7 messages
31/03/2014 at 18:27

I need help on the best way to revive my sick looking hedge.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/41016.jpg?width=544&height=350&mode=max

For a few years my hedge as had a hole in the and tbh i have just left it until now i have removed all the dead branches and cleaned out the base of hedge row of all debris,should i cut down to knee height to promote new growth ? any advice will be welcomed.

31/03/2014 at 18:29

What is it Mikey?

KEF
31/03/2014 at 18:38

I can't tell if the soil is wet or dry, or if it has been either. I would level the top( depending as Nut says as to what it is)  Rake some blood fish & bone at base, if dry water it in, if sodden don't, wait for rain. 

Nut I think there's more than one thing in there

31/03/2014 at 18:43

Not sure i think it is a common privet hedge its the same as most of the hedges in my street only mine is taller as i have never cut it down all my neighbours trim theirs to about waist height.

31/03/2014 at 18:49

The soil is dry at the moment KEF i dug the boarder about 3 months ago and since then i have spent a lot of time cleaning out the hedge so the boarder is due to be turned and i will be adding horse manure to it as well.I have took out a lot of dead branches which might of been some other tree or shrub.

31/03/2014 at 19:02

You can hack privet back really hard and it will come back. The further you cut it back the more likely it is to fill in the sides, but cut the sides back as well.

31/03/2014 at 19:44

Thanks nut another project for me then i was wanting to cut down to at least half its height but being a complete amateur in the garden i was to scared of killing it off altogether thanks again

email image
7 messages