London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
9 messages
12/07/2012 at 13:15

My neighbour is in a home now and here very old greenhouse collasped and was removed a few weeks ago.  All over the place where it stood horsetail has grown and now it's coming though to my garden - even popped up in the greenhouse.

2 q's - how do I treat it on my side and what do I ask them to do about such a huge infestation next door. 

They strimmed it this week and I have a feeling you might tell me this is the worst thing to do!

12/07/2012 at 13:23

I'm fairly sure there's a thread on this weed somewhere already, although I haven't worked out how to search the forum yet.  Have a nose round see if you can find it.

Horsetail/Marestail is as old as the hills and sounds a complete pain to deal with,  good luck with it.

12/07/2012 at 13:29

Cutting it down will do nothing to control it. You need to bruise it and then spray with a glyphosate-based weedkiller, probably more than once.

Where you have it attempting to invade, you could try digging it out as it's effectively a runner,and then think about putting a barrier in the way. We had it come up in our garage once, but a spray of weedkiller and it never came back.

12/07/2012 at 13:30
12/07/2012 at 13:32

and another one

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/horsetail/3825.html

There is a search facilty at the top of the page

12/07/2012 at 13:47

Thanx all

14/07/2012 at 12:13

Have posted on the second of sotongeoff suggested threads of a product recommened  to me on the BBC Message Board last year - hope this might work  

17/07/2012 at 16:43

That's brilliant!  I wondered why their lawn wasn't affected - that must be it.

Cheers asperge

18/07/2012 at 10:17

Hello HyppyByker,

Have looked at how to control marestail / field horsetail in our problems section. It's tricky stuff but you can use glyphosate, and now's the time to do it.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

email image
9 messages