Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

flowergirl4

Hi I have had a hosta in the same tub for about 6yrs now, this year it only produced about 8 leaves and no flowers..Am I right in assuming that its probably potbound...Is it too early to repot  and split it.

In my experince, hostas split in autumn can often sulk or even die so I would wait till spring.  Turf it out of the pot in late Feb or early March, cut into 2, 3 or 4 sections - an old bread knife is very good for this - and repot at the same depth with good quality compost such as John Innes no 3.  Give each plant a good drink to get it going and maybe some liquid rose or tomato food to give it an extra boost.

gardeningfantic

i split mine end of feb.. i just stick them in normal compost with some home made stuff to. then i give  them a leaf feed liquid which gives them a boots.. but i have only ever had one die on me.. they are quite tought plants..

Easy peaty. Split in a s many,pieces as you want to. I do mine in autumn to save doing it in spring. They are put in pots and simply grow away. I have done it in middle of summer too...anytime.. But clearly your hostas are very hungry and do need fresh compost etc
flowergirl4

Thanks for the comments and advise