Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hostas from seed

Has anyone any tips on how to grow them from seed.  I bought a packed of seeds last year, followed the directions, yet not 1 germinated.  Very disappointed as this is the first time I've had 0% germination.

Thanks.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I have germinated seed, a long time agoso can't remember the details but it's likey I started them in autumn and left them out in pots the garden.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Only ever grown them from my own fresh seed. Kept over winter in a cold greenhouse they germinated well in Spring.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I grew from seed one year, but not one was as good as the Mother plant so they all went into the compost bin. image

Won't bother again.

Devon.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Those seeds you gave me Hosta, coming a long really well, bit small because I haven't had a chance to repot this year, but all germinated and grew on well. 

Cant remember the name, Frances something? 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Frances Williams ?

Devon.
  • Mary370Mary370 Posts: 2,003

The packet I bought were a mixed variety.

Hostafan1 says:

Frances Williams ?

See original post

That's the one?

Should they be plain green or have they crossed with another? 

Last edited: 12 June 2017 09:40:39

All the seeds I ever germinated were plain green, which is why they went into the compost bin and I've never tried again. image

Devon.
    Hostafan1 says:

All the seeds I ever germinated were plain green, which is why they went into the compost bin and I've never tried again. image

See original post

So you got me to try them???

are they originally plain then?