Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

Hello,

I am getting married on 14 June and have decided to give each guest a small plant in a teacup. I was planning on using violas because they are prbably my favourite. However, it now occurs to me that I might not be able to buy them in June.

Does anyone know if they would be likely to do ok if I were to buy trays of them from the garden centre this weekend and plant them over the next week or so? So they would be in teacups outside for about a month.

Any other suggestions for plants that might work well would be most welcome - we want to keep it as cheap as possible so would need to be plants freely available in trays for not too much £££.

Thanks in advance!

pansyface

Buy them, by all means, but I'd not put them into the teacups just yet as they will have no drainage and will probably rot.

It sounds like a beautiful idea though and I'm sure will look wonderful.

Have a lovely day - hold onto your hats, my birthday's around then and it's always blowing a gale!

Thank you! Do you think they would be ok in their trays until then?

I suppose I could leave them as they come for a couple of weeks and then plant them into teacups... I don't think we will have time to plant them on into pots and then teacups.

Many happy returns for the day!

Fairygirl

I'd stick them in small pots, but if you don't have time,they'll be fine until next month PF .

Keep them somewhere sheltered and out the full sun - if you have any - and dead head whenever you can 

Some of the alpine size geraniums would be a good alternative. There's a little deep pink one with a dark centre called Ballerina if you can source it. Osteospermums would be easy to get - but they might be a bit on the big side.

Oh I've just had the look at the geranuim - that's a genius idea and I love alpines, I'll have to see if we can get trays of any of that sort of thing at the massive garden centre near us!

Got to have some violas as they are my absolute favourtite, but a mixture would be lovely

Advertisement

Fairygirl

Saxifrages as well PF. They can be divided easily and grow very quickly at this time of year.  I think you might struggle to get the geranium cheaply though. I planted some in the retaining sandstone walls on a terrace  at my last house and it was glorious. 

Saxifrage would look fantastic in a teacup - an fact any 'cushion' type would. I'm going to enjoy investigating at the weekend....

Fairygirl

At this rate-  you'll need to give them a bucket each instead of a teacup PF! 

Green Magpie

I would ask your nursery or GC  about the availability, so you don't buy them sooner than you need to. Then when you get them, leave them in the trays until a few days before, unless they're clearly outgrowing their space and needing to be potted on. I agree that they might not do well in cups for long.

Give them an occasional feed (liquid seaweed or a high-potassium feed). Keep deadheading them, and a week or two before the event, take off not only the dead heads but some of the ones that have not gone over yet. This wil encourage new flowers to form in time for the day.

Other possibilities are lobelia, trailing bacopa or "million bells". But I don't think a teacup will hold all the suggestions!