Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

How to solve your snail problems

Hello all,

I have been reading and hearing on best ways to get rid of snails.. now I personally dotn like to get rid.. as they feed the blackbirds and thrushes that have now taken residence in my garden.. so what I do and find is hte best way for all.. is..

take large flower water tray.... then find a smaller one by at least half or more in size and a rock. place this smaller one inside the larger one. and put rock in to keep it in place.

place salt in the gully between the two trays. fill it up with a enough to fill it half way at least....place in shaded area.

then go snail hunting.  then put all u find in the smaller tray.. and leave for the birds to eat. the snails wont go over the salt.. and even if it rains it stays salty and they wont go thru it.  the blackbirds and thrushes come and use the stone to break the shells and eat them. and all are happy.i find the birds also root through my plants looking for more. when tray is empty and they keep them at bay. 

with slugs u can do the same thou i leave them in a seperate one.. but the black ones i put back as i believe they are not plant eaters..  if u have frogs or hedghogs they will come get them.

• Pink lilyPink lily Posts: 175

Good idea, I 'm going totry that at the weekend image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Posts: 37,883

What a totally brilliant idea gardeningfanatic!

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

your very welcome ladies. let me know how it goes. :)

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

do you mind if I share this on my local gardening facebook page?

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,904

That's one of those "why didn't I think of that?" ideas!

Brilliant! I hope it works.

Peanuts3 says:

do you mind if I share this on my local gardening facebook page?

See original post
    not at all Peanuts3 go ahead

Last edited: 15 July 2016 18:59:57

aw that is shame phillippasmith2. but at least the birds get fed. great to have the song thrush back in the garden image

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

Yes, but do you have enough birds to get through three or four hundred slugs a day because I don't . I turned over a paving stone the other day and found a toad enjoying the damp space. He was sharing it with eight slugs, two of which were lying against him. Nobody looked hungry or nervous.

• wakeshinewakeshine Posts: 975

GF is there a photo of the device?

• michael mpcmichael mpc Posts: 422

hi gardeningfantic    sounds like I good idea might try that for a look  I am lucky in some ways I have 2lots of blackbirds in the leylandi trees 2 gardens away and I have had loads ////loads of broken  empty shells next to my posts in bin area    I was told last week the garden community  say that there pond has lots of frogspawn in so when frogs grow will get a few and make  a damp place for them