London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
9 messages
08/10/2013 at 21:33

I moved house 2 years ago and at my last place never had any issues and just done what I thought was right, my father was a great gardener and I must have picked up something of his expertise.  Anyhow in my latest home as I am getting older I decided it would be lawn / paving slabs / and pots for some herbs and veg, however my wife decided after 40 years of marriage to get involved and do flowers in pots, she is a flippin nightmare with it but hey she is happy.

My question....The pots she is using which are full of earth/compost, how are these best `wintered` and can I do anything to get any slugs out of the soil (in the pots) as she did lose a couple of plants during the summer and the roots had been nibbled away.  I am sure in days gone by that my dad used jeyes fluid in his greenhouse for this.

Thoughts / advice please

08/10/2013 at 21:54

I'm happy to be wrong on this but ceramic pots if for outdoor use, usually last the winter, some when bought will say they are frost resistant or words to that effect, not sure how resistant those are though to prolonged snow. My ceramic pots are fine, I've had some for years and we get snow.

Terracota pots need some protection, I tend to plant bulbs in these, wrap them in bubble wrap and from now until about February keep them in a sheltered spot. They can be in a more exposed spot but wil need protecting. I use mine sometimes twice a year for different plants ie spring bulbs will be replaced with gladioli or annuals.

The pots get a good clear in between plantings to get rid of any stuff on the sides and to kill any nasties which may have taken up residence. As regards compost and nasties, if the plants in the pots have been healthy I put used compost back into the compost bin or mix it with some fresh and add some form of feed depending on what is being planted.

Any sign of nasties in the pot and the compost is sent to the tip.

08/10/2013 at 22:32

Thanks Zoomer,  its not so much the pots as they are plastic although I may over winter build some wooden planters for her. My main concern is the soil in them, I have already got them in a sheltered area so they dont get saturated prior to storage and will dry out, I will then cover with polythene for the winter so they remain just slightly damp.

08/10/2013 at 22:49

I clean my terracotta pots and store them in the greenhouse or shed. I cut back perrenial plants in pots and move them into the greenhouse for protection.

09/10/2013 at 06:20

Scudo - what plants have you got in these pots?

09/10/2013 at 07:46

I don't do anything special to my pots which stay outside. I do have grit or gravel to cover any exposed compost or soil which prevents moisture loss. Top couple of inches of compost are replaced in spring awhen they get a feed and trim  if necessary)

Wooden containers would look smart Scudo 

09/10/2013 at 09:54

Dovefromabove....

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Some annuals which will come out of the pots in the next week or so.

Begonias / Lillies and a couple of other perennials that I don’t know the names of .

I have some herbs Parsley / Mint / lemon balm and some lettuce.

09/10/2013 at 16:57

Never heard of most of those plants Scudo

09/10/2013 at 18:40

Scudo, the perennials in your post are very unusual 

Maybe you could,post a picture of those,perennials.....they may be hardy. Lilies will be fine.  Begonias need to be frost free.  Herbs will be fine, but parsley is best sown annually.

email image
9 messages