London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
5 messages
11/07/2012 at 16:07

last year i planted a iceberg climbing rose it has climbed ok but not one rose what do i do now

11/07/2012 at 16:17

Wait, patience is a virtue.  It has spent this year making a good root system, next year it will begin to flower - none of these bigger plants are likely to do everything in the first year after planting, only annuals do that and your rose aims to be around for a good few years, so will take time to get going.  Tie it is so that some of the branches are horizontal, this will also encourage flowering along those branches next season, prune according to any good rose book (it is different for climbers and ramblers, so besure what you have).   Feed in Spring, sit back and wait, it will do its thing given enough time and care. 

Have you pruned it? 

Climbers should be pruned in the autumn after flowering, bush roses are pruned in the spring.....if you pruned in the spring you may just have removed flowering wood.

I understand that it is a new plant, but it could still be the problem.

Basically not much-just wait- my iceberg has just finished the first flush of flowers which I am dead-heading on a regular basis it will now make new flowering shoots that will bloom in a few weeks

Yours should flower soon-hopefully this year- if not next

12/07/2012 at 08:54

thanks to you all i just thought like a bush rose it would flower

email image
5 messages