Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ivy plants

Hi all, I have two ivy plants in my new garden left by previous owners, I've killed all the leaves by using resolva and now trying to dig up roots which seems to be taking forever! All the roots have grown under my grass so as I'm pulling it up it's leaving a trail! I don't mind to much as the grass needs reseeding and leveling anyway. If I can't get all the way to the bottom of the root I'm spraying tumbleweed on it! Am I doing this correctly or is there an easier way?! Your comments will be most helpful as I'm an inexperienced Gardner! Thanksyou in advance image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Welcome Lorna, ivy roots do die after treatment but it takes time and patience usually longer than for the foliage to die down. The roots don't break as easily as bindweed, they're tougher, but hard to get rid of. I'd dig out what you can, then treat anything that comes up afterwards. With any weedkiller it has to be sprayed on greenery, spraying roots won't work. Be patient and vigilant and you will get rid of it eventually.

• Lorna 4Lorna 4 Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot! I'll keep all that in mind image