London (change)
Today 27°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
8 messages
08/04/2013 at 12:40

I know the recent weather will have caused all sortes of problems but am particularly concerned about my lovely Japanese anemones. There are obviously signs of fresh green shoots - but what is the reason for the silvery, brown appearance of many of the stems and leaves. Do I need to treat them - or just remove them?

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21145.jpg?width=648&height=350&mode=max

08/04/2013 at 12:53

Take off the dead stuff Berkley. Everything looks a bit rough at the end of winter. As long as you've got fresh green shoots all is well

08/04/2013 at 16:15

Agree with nutcutlet, as soon as things warm up a bit lots more fresh shoots will come up and on mine the new stems are always a silvery colour.

15/09/2013 at 16:30

Hoping to buy some jap anenomies but live in a very windy place - will this give any problems?  My soil is very clay like but I do add horse manure to it - any comments anyone?

15/09/2013 at 16:35

They won't mind the clay. If it's very windy choose one of the shorter cultivars

15/09/2013 at 16:39

They like a sunny spot and good drainage in winter time. They take a while to get going but once they have their roots in a spot it's hard to shift them (like oriental poppies).

I live in a place that is about as windy as you can get (blowing a gale and white-out rain today) and the plants are just going with the flow.

15/09/2013 at 16:59

The common name for anemones is wind flower.

Mine are subject to strong prevailing westerly winds most if the year with occasional Siberian blasts from the east.  My Japanese anemones do just fine in moist, fertile, alkaline loam on the north side of the house but only the pink ones will grow there.  I have another clump of pink ones doing very well further up in a better drained site with more sun and shelter form the worst of the westerlies.  I'm having one last go at growing the white form in a spot with drainage, sun and shellter from easterlies.

15/09/2013 at 20:50

They are indeed called wind flowers but they prefer dappled shade and some shelter I think. However, they are adaptable plants

Obelixx, I grow the white variety Honorine Jobert.  It's a lovely flower but I think it's the most imvasive variety.  Mine is in a dry spot but sheltered and where it can't invade..  More moisture and it would be better but I won't let it anywhere near my precious borders.  

I suppose an area dedicated to jap anemones....providing good fertile soil, dappled shade and moisture...would look fantastic.  If I did that I would fill it with bulbs...spring and summer....to create a long period of colour.  Would ensure though that the anemones could not escape

email image
8 messages