London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 10°C
5 messages
07/07/2013 at 18:11

I planted this new rose in December - it seems healthy enough and has produced several blooms, but they are drooping.  Does anyone know if this is normal for the variety or should I be taking action?  I'm making sure it gets well fed and watered.  Your advice would be appreciated, thank you.

08/07/2013 at 06:49

I find that a lot of the David Austin English Roses are inclined to droop - I presume it's in their breeding - Salino will probably know more - but I don't suppose there is anything you can do about it. 

08/07/2013 at 09:37

...I'd have said the same as you there Dove... it's probably even more marked on a standard rose... as far as I'm aware it will get better with time... that's what they need to develop stronger shoots... I've seen nice photos of this rose as a bush, when mature, and it looks fine.. so stick with it.. it should get better... it's a very popular one by all accounts...

08/07/2013 at 09:59

Thank you both for your replies - I feel better now!  The rose was chosen for its colour and fragrance both of which have lived up to expectations.  I shall continue with plenty of TLC and hope for improvement.  Thanks again.

08/07/2013 at 10:52

I would say not too much TLC - you don't want to encourage soft lush growth - grow it a bit 'hard' and I think it'll toughen up 

email image
5 messages