Start a new thread

1 to 5 of 5 replies

Hi all, new to the site!  We have a good size garden on a slight incline south facing, new build house with the turf laid by the developer in July.  The turf has grown well with plenty of care and attention from myself.  However at the start of the month i noticed the attached Larvae (i think thats what they are!) at the bottom of the garden right next to the house.  roughly around 4 different patches. 

Having looked online it looks like Larvae and have been told to "sort" the problem out before March next year when the weather gets warmer or else the turf could be ruined.  I have spoken to the developer who have said this issue comes under maintenance and not part of the 2 year warranty provided.

The turf was laid on sand and no top soil and im guessing whatever was left by the builder in the garden has caused this issue.  Any help is appreciated

T

hanks :)  

Kitty 2

Hi elldun.  That looks super creepy 😨.

I'm no expert but the first lawn pest that sprung to mind is leatherjackets.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=651

I've no idea why the critters are coming out of the lawn in such huge numbers.  My best guess would be that the ground might be very wet. New build gardens seem to be notorious for drainage issues from buried builders rubble. Maybe they were drowning?

Hope someone with more knowledge can help with more than a "guess" 😊.

nutcutlet

spread them for the birds, that will put an end to them

Kitty 2

Are they leather jackets nut?  I was just guessing.

Looks like they're spreading themselves out voluntarily for a birds banquet 

nutcutlet

can't tell from the photo Kitty.

The only thing I've ever seen in those numbers is the sawfly larvae on the Solomon's Seal.