London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 4°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
12/09/2013 at 07:56

When I moved into our property we had laid these beasts all bar 3 have been removed. The 3 that remain are cut like standards... The stem is clear and the top cut yearly into a square shape allowing light into our neighbours garden... My neighbour has asked repeatedly for me to cut theM down but I won't as they do provide privacy as there is only a waist heigh fence between us. I recently suggested to her that as the fence is theirs if they replaced it with a higher fence and removed the rotting caravan from their garden I would cut them Down.... To which she said "why should I put a fence up that would block the light as well ( it's next to her patio) ...

12/09/2013 at 08:06

Stacey, can't see the problem.  You have arranged ...via topiary....for some light into your neighbour's garden.  If this suits you keep things as they are.  It sounds like you have considered your neighbour yet ??ou can't win!

12/09/2013 at 08:37

Now this is the same woman that asked me to join her petition to cut down a massive oak tree growing next to her house.... The same woman that wants me to cut down the oak tree in my garden ( the bottom part of our garden is in the woods) not one branch overhangs her garden! And the same woman who last weekend cut down 4 trees in the woods not her property cause they were shading her car!!! Oh and they dug up from the old oak tree a magnificent wisteria that must have grown 100 foot up!!! So to protect the oak last year I volunteered with the local council and got a preservation order on it!So any way the moral of my story is that llalandi owners aren't all bad and sometimes it's the people on the other side of the hedge!!!!!!

12/09/2013 at 08:39

She wants a tree free world!

22/02/2014 at 20:52

We moved recently to a house which has a Leylandi hedge, consisting of 35 trees.  It is huge & tatty.  I have just put in an Application to Cornwall Council for permission to remove it.  We live in Hayle, in a Conservation Area, and sadly, Leylandi trimming or removal requires permission.  If we proceeded without permission we could be fined up to £20,000 per tree.  That would make us both homeless & bankrupt.  Amazingly, OAK trees are not protected within conservation areas in Cornwall, yet Leylandi are.  How mad is that!  I wonder if these rules were made by the same people who decided that seagulls should be protected?

23/02/2014 at 15:19

We are leylandii 'owners' having 'inherited' them when we moved in several years ago.  To date there has never been any problems with the neighbours - we have always trimmed them at least once a year.  However, because that job became more and more onerous over the years, we decided to take most of them out - particularly those along the back border.  We hadnt realised just how rickety the neighbours fence was and that the fence was actually supported by our trees. Along comes this years storms and what do you know - the fence is collapsing and we now feel very exposed!  Can anyone recommend a quick growing alternative to leylandii, that doesnt take over and that doesnt grow beyond say 10-12 feet? (the property at the back is rented and owned by someone who shows no interest whatsoever).

23/02/2014 at 15:36

Freshford, you could always just erect another fence right next to the neighbours rickety one, but just inside your boundary.

23/02/2014 at 15:45

If you don't want to do as Bob suggests - and to be honest that's what I'd probably do, and then put 18" of trellis on the top and grow climbers up it - but if you don't want to fence I'd grow either a mixed native hedge or a beech or holly hedge - either will take a while to get to the height you want, but that's the choice you have - the height and consequent horrors of Leylandii or a slower growing but easier to control hedge which is good for wildlife. 

23/02/2014 at 15:58

I agree that I would be inclined to go for a fence in the short term, or if you can afford it, a wall. Then you could grow climbers on it, or plant ornamental trees in front of it, to get the height you want and instant privacy.  One thing to consider is whether you want an evergreen or deciduous hedge.  Our neighbours planted a hawthorn one about 3 years ago, and it is doing quite well, but it will take a while before it is as high as you would like.  Privet grows quickly, but is a bit of a marmite love it/hate it thing.  Forsythia looks pretty.  One thing to take into consideration is the effect the leylandii have had on the soil quality there - suspect they will have left a legacy.

23/02/2014 at 16:47

Be careful of Privet.  It is actually classed as a Noxious Weed in New Zealand and illegal to grow because it is very bad for people who suffer from Asthma.  I don't have asthma but I wouldn't grow it!!

email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages