Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Making a wormery...

Has anyone made a wormery and can one be made with containers which are about 10' deep. They fit snugly together, on top of each other but might be too deep for worms to pass through each chamber.

If you've made a wormery, how did you do it... 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

wiggly wigglers sell wormeries.

If you want to make one you  could try this.

http://www.ukgreenergardens.com How To Build A Wormery Award

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Followed the link. I'm looking to make a 3 tiered wormery. Doesn't look like the containers I've got are suitable, they stack rather than fit into each other but I've a better idea of what to put in to start one off.

Sara. Our council isn't that forward thinking but I'll check their website.     .   

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

ping

Checked out the county website and they claim to give away compost bins but I couldn't find the link to it!!!

Was directed to another site were dalek compost bins started at £16 and another site which sold wormery's dearer than the first link. There was a kitchen waste bin though which claims to rot stuff down within a few weeks by just adding a bran like substance without the worms, it produces fertiliser and claims the waste can then be added to a normal compost bin.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Artjak will know all about it I'm sure (does it have a Japanese sounding name?)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Can't find the site this evening, think it started with a B or D, it could have been  Japanses sounding. I usually put sites in favourites if I'm gonna go back but didn't with this oneimage

Were they Bokashi compost bins by any chance?

Googled it and yes it was a Bokashi compost bin.

Also checked out 'freebi composting' for Lancashire, they lost the funding for compost bins years ago so don't suppose the offer of a cheap Bokashi compost bin is still available, the one I saw was less than £20 and the one's checked out this evening on line are £50 plus...this is where my principles of recycling leave me...image

...back to the original plan of a home made wormery...image