Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Mice and sweet peas

Going to try (AGAIN!) sowing sweet peas to overwinter in cold greenhouse. In previous years the darned nice have had a feast - and I have had no sweet peas. Please can anyone tell me if it is the dry seeds that are attractive to the mice OR the juicy sprouted seedlings? I am hoping that once the seeds have sprouted they are safe and won't be dug up and scoffed! Thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Usually seeds for mice and slugs and snails for the nice new growth image

If you're sure it's mice - try putting some mesh or a piece of clear plastic over the top to stop them getting in, and remove once they're coming through. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Thank you Fairygirl.

Will have to be mesh I think.

The mice have scoffed their way through very thick plastic in previous years.

I don't have much trouble with slugs and snails in greenhouse - but mice seem

to go for everything!
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Little b*****s image

It would depend what you're growing the seeds in too, but if you have propagators with lids you could use those. The mesh would have to be fine I expect. They can squeeze through such tiny holes! I have a couple of old windows to make a cold frame with - something like that, or a sheet of perspex would be ideal. 

Of course - you could always set traps for the mice - cheaper in the long run image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • They will eat sprouted ones too I'm afraid! I once found all the 2" long seedlings lying on top of the soil - the seeds had disappearedimage Don't think they've found their way into my new greenhouse yet, but if the winter is hard enough (El Nino and all that!) they will! Just wondering where it is safe to plant my little crocus bulbs. The geese and/or pheasants  keep eating the ones on the rockery, so thought I would try bowls, but where to put the bowls? Traps on top is best, works for tulips!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I put propagator lids on, keep them on a high bench, and use mousetraps.

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

The humane mouse traps will catch but not harm your greenhouse assistants. I used one a few years ago and was amazed by how many I caught until my husband pointed out it was the same mouse and released it further away!

• PosyPosy Posts: 3,601

Well, I was putting in a nice little piece of chocolate - mice would much rather have that than cheese - and I reckon he thought he was on to a good thing. Certainly, once we let him go down the end of the garden I never got another!

• Have regularly used humane mouse traps in my kitchen. The cats bring them in to show off that they can still catch them - and then promptly let them go!

My husband works 22 miles away so always releases them in a little wood near To his workplace.

(Probably illegal to transport rodents around country!?)
  • My seedling sweet peas got too high under the Perspex root trainers box and because it is so mild, I put the uncovered seedlings under some fine netting on raised beds, outside &15 shoots gone by 7am next day.

I need to harden them off & have no cold frame, will traps catch the mice outside before they eat the shoots?

i usually plant the seedlings out in the open ground when mild around Christmas/new year.  Have I just been lucky they have not been eaten before?

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

Start your seeds off indoors, on a sunny (if we get any) windowsill, then place into your greenhouse or coldframe when they are growing well. I do this but always top with slug pellets.