Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Moles

Is this an exceptional year for moles?  We always have them but not in such great numbers as this year.  I love the little creatures but it turning into a battle of wits.

• Hi fiona, there is a thread called moles and crane flies, with some tips on getting rid of moles i'll bring it to the top of quotes for you.

Sorry pleased to meet you fionaimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I often have moles on my tiny lawn. Stick a bamboo into the mound and place a large empty yoghurt carton on top, the noise and vibration in the breeze drives them away. I know this works, as a week or so later my neighbour complains about moles in his gardenimage

• artjak, that made me laugh out loud! I will try your tip; I don't have molehills, I have mole volcanoes!

• We did the same with empty cola cans, also windmills work too.

• Thank you Star Gaze Lily,  And pleased to meet you too.image  I am afraid we have resorted to traps and have caught a couple but the next day there are these hills and yes, Landgirl100, volcanoes too!  Have tried fire-lighters down the hole and other crazy things, but perhaps the bamboo with yoghurt cartoon may be worth a try.  I think my neighbour knew about that one, as I swear it is his moles in our garden!

I have also heard, and used, the awful tinny recorded birthday cards, put them in the ground and it drives the moles crazy. My neighbour uses the long handled mole killer thingys. I have recently aquired a Jack Russell and my neighbour tells me he is getting rats in his garden that used to live under the concrete block supporting my oil tank. He is now enjoying taking pot shots with a gas powered air gun as they run along the top of his fence.

• Let's hope he doesn't shoot anyone by aiming into unseen spaces.

• Keep your head down when you're hanging out the washing!!! 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I've spent 20 years trying to get rid of moles from my garden and although successfully sometimes they always come back.  I now believe the only sure fire way is to MOVE image

image Muddyfork, there must be some way to get rid of them?