Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Moving a Clematis

Hello,I have a Clematis 'montana var. rubens' which, since Spring 2015, has attached itself to a rose arch and the 'new dawn' rose climber which has been growing within the arch for the past 2-3 years.

I feel that it was a mistake planting the Clematis there so wish to now move it to a more suitable position in the garden.  However, I am uncertain whether to try to detach it from the rose arch and rose climber and move it now, Autumn 2015.  OR, whether to wait until it has finished flowering in Spring/early Summer 2016 and cut it right back and then move it?

Your opinions/advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Nicole

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I'd agree. Cut it back before digging it out. Any bits which are entwined with the rose will die off and you'll be able to pull them away easily. prepare the new site well before you start and water and mulch after planting. It'll hardly notice the move image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Great.  I really wanted to read that.  I can't resist doing things in the garden as soon as an idea/vision comes to my head but at the same time I don't want to loose the Clematis and miss out altogether on flowers next Spring. it will be a tackle to loosen it from the 'thorny' rose climber but here goes nothing..... Thanks for your opinions.