Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

My grapevine

I have over100 bunches of grapes on my grapevine, which is in my greenhouse. Now a few grapes have turned brown and have dried up. Please can anyone advise me how to save the rest of my grapes .thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Have you thinned the bunches?  This should be done when the grapes are small.  

Details here http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/grapevine-care/ 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi Dave, that seems to happen naturally, a bit like june drop with apple trees, i dont bother thinning mine, but if you want proper grapes you really should follow Doves advice image

Well done with your vines tho, its been a good year for fruit image
  • bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Sorry , Ray not Dave! Dozy woman! image
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

Sounds like grape shanking. One cause is overcropping and with over 100 bunches on one vine that sounds like your main problem. That is an awful lot of fruit for one vine to ripen and I would reduce it by 75%. It can be very hard to bring yourself to remove promising fruit but it really is for the best. Start by removing all affected bunches then remove all small bunches. Reduce any overcrowding where bunches are interfering with each other.

Thinning individual bunches improves the quality of fruit and helps prevent disease so is also worth doing at the right time of year.