London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
6 messages
29/08/2012 at 14:24

Hi

I have just started to grow vegetables this year and have been successful with most of it. However, something has been eating my cauliflowers. I have had the caterpillars from the cabbage whites which I have kept in check . The main problem was what looked like maggots eating the plant from the roots. Any ideas what this is and how I can prevent it next year please.

Thanks

Pottygardener

29/08/2012 at 16:22

Grubs in soil is never a good thing...If it was 1 and a half to 2 inches long, fat and grey or brown it might be cutworm (they live near the surface); large curved grey ones living in the soil might be chafer grubs or they might be wireworm- smaller, shiny and slow moving. I'm an organic gardener so wouldn't use pesticides- I'd change the soil!

29/08/2012 at 18:09

Thanks for that info. The grubs I saw were quite small and looked very similar to white fly larvae maggots.

29/08/2012 at 18:37
Where they c- shaped and have dark heads?
30/08/2012 at 20:06

They were small, straight and to be honest, I didn,t take much notice of the heads. They were definately creamy white not grey or brown.

30/08/2012 at 20:58

It could be cabbage root fly grubs the attack all brassicas you can rings that fit around

the stems of cauliflowersor cabbages to prevent the female fly from lying eggs near the plants hope this helps Mandy

email image
6 messages