Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

overgrown rockery

I have a small overgrown rockery which is riddled with couch grass, it also has autumn flowering cyclamen and spring bulbs in. My plan would be to remove the cyclamen corms and bulbs and then use weed killer on the grass and replant in spring.

Could I move the cyclamen whilst flowering and put in pots in greenhouse, so I can get at it with the weedkiller straight away or wait until the cyclamen have died down. If I wait until the cyclamen have died down and then dig up the corms, how do I look after them until replanting in the spring.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

There's no point in weedkilling now, because plants, including grass, are about to slow down for the winter and won't take up the weedkiller. Wait until at least March next year, when you will have to take up your bulbs - not ideal when they are in flower, but possible.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

You can dig up cyclamen corms now. I often do. No need to pit them in greenhouse, Remember don't plant them too deep crown of corm should only be at soil level or just below. Just put pots somewhere in slightly shaded area. Some of mine have been in pots waiting for a new home for a couple of years.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

As Bjay says, but with Alina, a Spring job when the grass is beginning to geow. If there are spring bulbs then you can move them in flower....carefully.