London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
4 messages
Edd
18/03/2014 at 22:55

Hi.

This is my first year making (and growing in) paper pots. I love the thought of this and as a, skinflint have tried it now. 

I bought my first seed compost, EVER!  (wilko £4 for 80Lt, half price) it was all i could carry in one go.

Now i know from previous posts on here, that paper produces mycelium, but i did not realise how fast they grew in it. When i put my new seeds and pots into a plastic bag, (mini) propagator on a window sill, just a plastic bag! 

The seeds have just started to germinate after 9 days ( they were very tiny seeds )

but the paper is starting to spread mould into the center of the pots.

As most know i am a big fan of mycelium/fungi and moss and i know how hungry they can be.

The question is? Will they try to feed off the seeds in the pot??? 

This is a new situation for me and did not expect the fast mycelium growth in the bags. ( no matter how much i love it)

Anyhow here is the photo of the boxes. Designed by me, for window sills and the ones i am using at the moment are half the size (only 6 cells instead of 12)

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39808.jpg?width=350

I used 12" pizza boxes for the base (modified). I have to admit i did not waterproof the base on the first few. (that was a mistake). I now line the base with cling film. and find them most useful.

Will the mould take over like i know it will, or will the seeds survive, once i take the bag off. 

Anyone have any experience of paper pot mould, please???

Kind regards

Edd.

19/03/2014 at 11:43

My only experience of paper pots was that they were very slow to rot when finally planted in the open ground, so I used to cut them down opposite sides with scissors before planting, so that the roots could get out.

Lyn
19/03/2014 at 16:30

I make hundreds of pots from newspaper, (its the best use for The Western morning news) IMO but i make them round, so air space between, i have never put anything in a plastic bag, or a propogator, never owned one, maybe thats why yours have a build up now.

I have found that its mainly thomson and morgan that like to put everything in plastic bags, i have grown same flowers from 2 companys, the other not mentioning bags.

I use them for anything deep rooted, such as onions, leeks, sweet peas, cosmos, anything where you can put one seed in one pot. I dont use seed compost, just a very good multi purpose, then they can stay in there without having to be re potted, so no root disturbance. I find newspaper rots down ok in the wet soil when planted out.

20/03/2014 at 12:26

As Lyn said it looks like there's no airflow around the pots so the dampness of the paper coupled with not enough air circulation is causing the mould. Covering them with plastic bags whilst good for generating warmth does create an environment that mould loves, warm and moist.

I'm having a similar thing happen in my small propagator to a lesser extent, it gets very warm and damp inside which is the purpose of the propagator to encourage the rapid germination but on the other hand  the compost in the seed trays or the actual seedlings themselves can start to get mouldy. Opening the vent on the top of the propagator does'nt seem to be enough so I'm trying actually removing the propagator lid for a bit to allow some air to get in.

I'd try some larger container boxes or plastic trays so you can spread the individual paper pots out a bit and get some air flowing around. You could try experimenting with one of your boxes to see if removing the plastic bag periodically once the seeds have germinated and letting some of the moisture out a bit helps, if that works then try that on the others.

email image
4 messages