London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
7 messages
10/06/2012 at 19:31

Over the last couple of months I've bought a few perennials geraniums ( I think). They are doing well, and have flowers. I have noticed though that that some of their leaves are turning a yellow/red colour.

The first one I bought, a Geranium bohemicum did the same thing but is now looking very healthy and flowering well.

Is this something I should be worried about? All of these plants are in partial shade, but in fairly heavy soil. Just wondered what causes the leaves to turn colour.

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8627.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/8628.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

Thanks for any information

10/06/2012 at 20:27

Probably just older leaves reacting to being planted out - new weather conditions/soil conditions etc. if you are getting lots of new healthy growth and flowers too, there shouldn't be a problem. I would just remove the old leaves if they are annoying you.

10/06/2012 at 21:29

Thanks Daintiness, the plants themselves are doing well, I'll just cut off the affected leaves

10/06/2012 at 21:40

If you cut the plants back hard after flowering has finished, they will grow a fresh set after two-three weeks, probably less with all this rain.

10/06/2012 at 22:56

i have many perennial geraniums  and i find many of the older leaves turn yellow , when they get too  straggerly i cut them back hard some reflower others just grow newleaves

24/08/2012 at 19:06

I've got several different perennial geraniums which have always flourished - but in the last week I've noticed reddish spots on the leaves, which are getting puckered too, and the plants look very unhappy. Help! Any ideas what the problem could be?

24/08/2012 at 19:10
Geraniums benefit by being cut back hard when full flowering peak is over. I find cutting back creates fresh new foliage with flowers now again appearing. They expend so much energy in flower production that they will tire, leaves will suffer and yellow etc. but this cutting back is the answer
email image
7 messages