London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
6 messages
09/10/2013 at 12:02

I have one or two perennials that spread via underground roots and are very invasive. Although I've dug them up is there anyway of killing the roots under the soil to stop them regrowing? Thanks.

09/10/2013 at 12:21

Other than digging them out every time you see a new shoot, the only way I know is to put systemic weedkiller such as glyphosate on the plants as this gets taken down to the roots and kills them.  It is best done when the plants are in active growth.  You would need to protect the plants you wish to keep.

09/10/2013 at 14:07

Constant lookout for the emerging plant and pulling/digging it up as deeply as possible straight away may not entirely solve the problem but it does weaken the plant(s) and makes the gaps in between 'treatment' longer.  I am having the same problem with Japanese anemone - can anyone tell me why Alan Titchmarsh and his ilk still recommend this plant?  Pretty as it is in full bloom, it's still a thug!

09/10/2013 at 15:25

Which perennials are they Dave?  Artemisias, euphorbias??

I always keep an eye on any new plants  that are notorious for running but even then still get caught out by thinking I will dig them up each year.  However, I now avoid all of them.

Glyphosate is best treatment generally but it does depend on the plant.  Many can be traced close to the "donor" plant and therefore dug out emtirely....viz., the roots can be traced and removed with further excavations.  Others though do run far and wide sending roots down to appear several feet away.  These are best treated with glyphosate.  Too late inthe year now but next spring watch out for the new growths and spray.  Throughout the summer spray any further growths 

09/10/2013 at 15:27

Lydiaann, try the super strength glyphosate on jap anemomes.  It's worked for me.  Dry cloudy days from spring through summer are  best

09/10/2013 at 15:35

Do you want to get rid of them entirely or would you be happy to have some left? If you would like to keep some in the flower beds, dig the lot up and clean the bed as much as possible, then bury a length of some DPC blackplastic strip in a circle and plant a bit of the root in the circle. Generally speaking, the plant will then stay within the confines of the strip.

email image
6 messages