Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant ID and weed help?

Hello,

I have a large flower bed at the front of the house which is filled with these large daisy flowers, I think they are cape daisies, but really don't know could someone help id them for me? The tenant before us did no gardening, so the lawn has encroached into the daisies and is wrapped around the plants.

So, if I keep pulling up bits of grass as much as I can will it eventually give up? or will the daisies smother the grass out with a bit of help? or do I need to dig the whole lot up it's about 5mx5m to remove grass and try to replant the daisies? What should I do?

It is already so much better than when we moved in a year ago, but not sure what to do next. Here's two pictures one showing the daisies and the second showing the worst of the grass roots/bare patch.. thank you

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think they're osteospermums which may be the same as cape daisiesimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

They are cape daisies or osteospermum as nut says.  If you want to keep them, then let them get on with it, it will smother the grass eventually but cape daisies can spread about  and go patchy leaving bare areas. I'd keep them pruned back in spring or right now, this will give you a more compact area, as they can be unruly if left to their own devices. They root readily, just break off a stem and push it into the ground, If you want rid of the grass, after tidying the cape daisies spray with glysophate.

• Thank you both, I do want to keep them for the moment because they are good ground cover until I get other bits of the garden sorted. I didn't know you could prune them? Should I just grab the shears and give them a jolly good hair cut, so they bush out a bit. They have a very odd smell when you cut them? I have noticed they root easily, I've been shoving stems in the bare batches and they have taken well so far. I think I will just let them get on with it for now and pull out the worst bits of grass. image

Do either of you know what Osteospermum they are?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Not me, sorry. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

There are a few varieties of white, but I'm sure they're just the plain white ones, no special name, and shears are the ideal tool.

• You can't really see in the photo but they are a purple/pink on the underneath. I thought the bees would like them, but they don't seem interested at all. I shall get the shears out, when I get home from work tomorrow. Thank you