Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant IDing (or have I totally lost it)

I planted in a pot a cutting of a clematis that I used to pass on my way to the gym. It had lovely big purple/blue flowers some years ago. I thought it wouldn't survive but it came back the next year and the year after that. This year it produced a bud to my great delight. The bud swelled and swelled and the flower looks like this.

That to me looks more like a peony.

I have a peony that doesn't flower yet and the leaves are very different so they cant be the same.

Any ideas what this is?

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 782

Looks like a young peony to me.   I transplanted sections of one from a neighbours garden last year.  The more mature section has buds and leaves are darker and smoother like your top picture.  The tiny transplanted section looks exactly like your bottom picture. Could be wrong though but looks exactly like mine.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I have 2 different types of peony in my gardening one of them has leaves that so look like that

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

The flower looks like a peony to me but the leaves are different. The rough peony leaves are five leaved (three at the top and then a double on the sides). The peony from Wilco has a rosette of three times three leaves and red stems. I have no memory of planting a piece of the peony in a pot but I might have.

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

Alas the clematis that I stole the cutting from is no more. It was a massive one covering a tree in lovely big flowers. I think it died this winter or someone cut it back at the roots.

Find it very weird that they are so different. Leaves and stems are different but the flower is very very peony. On the good side, it means I wont have to ponder where the hell to plant the climber!

It seems like a beautiful marriage of bad memory and wilco cocking up.