London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
8 messages
24/01/2014 at 20:04

Hi folks

ive brought a 3ft across wooden barrel with holes in bottom, should I put gravel and gauze at the bottom if I'm just doing standard flowers ??

pic of barrel

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36514.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

24/01/2014 at 20:21

I don't know about gauze but I'd put something in for drainage.

That's a very nice barrel, have you decided what's going in there?

24/01/2014 at 20:27

Having had just such a barrel in the past (inherited with the house) I would suggest a tough polythene liner, suitably perforated at the bottom for drainage and then a base layer of crocks/pebbles etc.  Otherwise you'll find the wood will rot, and that lovely container will deteriorate before your eyes!  Also, standing it on raised "feet" will help to prevent the base from rotting with the winter rains etc.

24/01/2014 at 21:20

Hi nutcutlet, haven't quite decided yet, trip down to garden centre in morning.

hi shrinking violet, it is actually risen on some bricks at the moment just need to get the insides of it at the min and decide what flowers I put in

24/01/2014 at 21:23

Sounds strange really.  A barrel rotting, when the sole purpose is to store liquid.  However it is true, when barrels are used as planters.  Both suggestions are very good.  In addition might I add. Despite the base of the barrel being an inch or two off the ground.  The sides are in contact with the ground.  I would be inclined to pop some kind of a wedge underneath, just to raise it up a fraction.

24/01/2014 at 21:36

Hi Mike Allen - yes, it does seem perverse, doesn't it?  A barrel, properly treated etc. is designed to hold liquid - but once it's planted with compost etc. it is prone to rot!  But if treated with respect, it can last for many years - and is one of the best looking planters you can have imo. 

24/01/2014 at 21:42

Totally agree Violet.  Wood in the garden is so much more natural and pleasing to the eye.

All the best with your garden.

24/01/2014 at 22:31

It's My question and as mentioned already it is raised of the ground on bricks

email image
8 messages