London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 44 messages
11/04/2014 at 08:11

My Autumn Sweet Peas ave got rather tall in my GH (well over 30cm even after pinching them out a few times) so I am thinking it is time to plant them out. However I was wondering if anyone has done so yet seeing it is only early April?

Would you recommend covering them with fleece if it gets cold or would they be okay left as they are?

I've lifted them out to start hardening off today and was thinking of planting them out this weekend.

11/04/2014 at 08:22

They're hardy NG so they'll be fine.  If you've only just started hardening them off I'd give them a bit longer as they've been in a greenhouse a long time.They don't appreciate being blasted by cold wind when they're small, so if you can shelter them from that for a week or so till they get going that's all you'd need to do. Yours are a bit bigger anyway though.  I've often put sweet peas out in April after sowing indoors in Feb/March - I'm in Scotland and it can be pretty cold and windy here in April!  

11/04/2014 at 08:25

As you have had them indoors all this time you might want to harden them off a bit more, especially as the nights are going to be cold. They will survive if you put them out, but will sulk a bit due to the sudden change in temperature.

Sweet peas are very tough,hardy plants and once they have germinated they should be kept in a cold frame to grow on.

11/04/2014 at 08:38

Everybody loves a little update

Plants are really coming on now. Another few weeks and all the ferns will start showing too which will really finish it all off.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42042.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/42041.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

11/04/2014 at 08:49
Looking good Chris!
I agree I should harden them off a bit more, I meant to start doing it on Monday but kept forgetting to put them outside before work lol I don't have a cold frame but it's next on my wish list (I just built a raised bed for veggies at weekend lol) however my GH is unheated.
Thanks for your replies everyone ????
11/04/2014 at 08:50
That was meant to say a smiley face at the end not question marks lol
11/04/2014 at 09:02

Sorry I posted the above in the complete wrong thread  Haven't quite woken up yet.

11/04/2014 at 22:09

I sowed my sweet pea seeds indoors just a week ago; I think I'm a bit late with mine though! I'll keep you updated as of when they start popping up! How are yours looking? Any pictures NGCARDS??

11/04/2014 at 23:03

I shall upload a photo of them in the morning when it's light enough My spring sown ones are a lot smaller than the autumn sown ones which is to be expected.

12/04/2014 at 09:08

Yeah, definitely post up a pic

12/04/2014 at 10:13

Glad I looked on here, as I too was wondering about whether it was too early to harden off my sweet peas.  I have some perennial sweet peas that are new to me - they came from a sheltered garden centre, so I have them outside but sheltered and they seem fine in their pot at present.

12/04/2014 at 10:24

I've  a large pot full  sown direct outside a couple of weeks ago, and I only sowed a few indoors last weekend. I've got lots to sow direct outside so you're fine Kay! Mine will still be flowering in October - that's the only difference - early sowings will finish earlier. We're a bit behind the south in terms of heat so that's the norm for me. 

GJayne- I had one of the everlasting peas many years ago but I don't remember it being very impressive. I think the soil I had it in at the time was probably not the best though. It would be interesting to hear how you find it. The flowers are much smaller. 

12/04/2014 at 10:33

Hello Fairygirl, thanks for this info.  I shall look forward to trying them out.  They look healthy at present, but probably been cossetted until now.  I want to grow pretty climbing flowering things over my water butts on the allotment, so I thought this might be a good idea.  I didn't know the flowers were smaller than annual types.

12/04/2014 at 10:41

Not sure I understand, sweet peas are extremely hardy (will shrug off temps of  -10c with no problem at all) so why are they indoors to start with and why do they need hardening-off?

12/04/2014 at 10:48

Both my autumn and spring sown ones are left outside with no protection unless it belts down with rain. Haven't planted them in their permanent position yet, as I don't know where they are going to go

I like the everlasting types, generally no scent though. Had a pink one in my last place which I cut down one  Autumn and I thought I'd killed it............18 months later up it popped! It grew up a fence and trellis and looked really good. I wouldn't cut them back again though.

I've sown some more everlasting types this year and will use them as a screen somewhere

ps- Lovely logs Chris, looks really good

12/04/2014 at 11:12

To be honest David - I usually sow direct and the only reason I sowed a few in pots last weekend was because I was struggling to get outside because of the rain and I also haven't got the big pot ready yet that they're going into...too many other things to do    

Perhaps I might get that done this weekend - when it stops raining! 

How's the new garden going Hollie?

12/04/2014 at 11:18

Hi Fairygirl, it's starting to take shape! We have flowers

12/04/2014 at 11:40

Hurray! 

Don't forget to show us the  pix  

12/04/2014 at 15:11

Just about to go get a picture, they were taller but due to the strong winds today whilst they were hardening off they got bent and had to be cut back grrrrr.

12/04/2014 at 15:54

Post your picture NGCARDS when you've got a min

1 to 20 of 44 messages